K9d

166 Restoration

Back to my cars :LOL:

I've been driving my 166 all of this week, but needed the space of my 156 for a dump run today and it kind of confirmed my suspicions, much as I love my 166 and its engine the 156 is a much nicer drive. The ergonomics are so much better I can have normal length arms and legs not the short legs and long arms I need for a 166.

Unfortunately, to me, the 156 is not a patch on the 166 for looks, so this has got me thinking and this is where I got to.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307197895929/sort/default/usedcars/model/159/make/alfa_romeo/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/postcode/ba116sx/page/4?logcode=p

Stunning looks, what I hope will be a cracking engine, although not a Busso V6 :(, good ergonomics and practical too.

The only downside of that one is the lack of leather interior.

Don't get a 2.2 the engine has problems with the timing chain.

Love 159s and Breras

Both lovely looking cars

Don't get a 2.2 the engine has problems with the timing chain.

Was looking at the 1750 TB, 200bhp, Petrol and decent(ish) economy, or so I thought but a bit of research has shown its about the same as a V6 but without the noise, at least with a Busso you can hear where all the fuel is going :LOL:

Thinking 159 2.4 jtdm.

But then I look out the window at the side of my 166 and, to me, she is a thing of great beauty.

I know its the paint that is getting me down, not just the roof but the whole dirty look, its hard to describe, the car is clean and shiny but the paint has a browny look to it, as if someone has mixed a bit of black into the red. Proteo Rosso changes so much in different light, some times stunning other times brown. :rant:

Decided to fill the hole under the number plate that left the radiators exposed.

_MG_5230.jpg

an hour later

_MG_5233.jpg

The inside of the bumper with my high quality template and a strip of cooling vanes that has come off the bottom of the 3rd radiator, there's 4 of them in there :o

_MG_5238.jpg

Mesh in place

_MG_5240.jpg

All back together

_MG_5245.jpg

It took 4 hours in total, I wasn't helped by 3 bolts that sheared off :(, fortunately nowhere critical, they were drilled out and replaced with cable ties. :LOL:

I really must sort out the number plate and make it sit flat.

• Like 1

Whilst I was under the car I noticed the front downpipe has taken a knock, it doesn't show it in the picture but the damaged area is concave, not too sure if it will cause a restriction.

_MG_5236.jpg

The number plate holders always look shit on Alfas.

Take it off buy some good quality double sided tape to reattach job done

:thumbs:

Before anyone says anything no I haven't driven a 159 but what I've heard is they are quite heavy and this is shown up in the fuel consumption on the smaller engine models.

I suggested this to Smiffy earlier as a consideration but had you thought of doing a diesel conversion to your 166 we never had any over here but sure they were available on the continent . What about a 2.4 10or 20v it would be different and a lot more economic and would have bags of low down torque.

Not a oil burner fan particularly but thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.

Edited by Gibot123

Somehow i missed the last lot of posts in this thread :facepalm: looking good though ( oh & yes, im looking at a red Giullietta)

There is a diesel GTV somewhere in this country, it was on ebay a while back & from memory it was the 2.4 that had been put in that :)

The fuel consumption on a 1750 159 isn't much better than the V6, i read someone in south africa has/was doing the swap from a 1750 to a V6 as theres nothing in it :o

It does seem that what ever the engine size the bhp is what equates to the mpg with the exception of diesel. I may be wrong.

I don't know if this is relevant to your calculations train of thought or other but one of the things that makes me keep the 164 is that to replace it with anything else of similar spec I would be spending say £3000 then I think what am I getting and the answer in most cases is a newer reg No. So then I think what about much lower mileage and that adds at least another £2-3000 grand that then equates to £6000.

But then if its a diesel I'll be saving fuel and road tax and hopefully reducing repairs . But then £6000 buys a lot of petrol ,tax and servicing and I still have no interest charge on the money I would have borrowed either.

Food for thought maybe.?

I like that K9d :thumbs:

Where did you get the mesh from ?

Here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370276513763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The mesh for the grill by the badge from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350859144641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The grill mesh is better looking and comes ready to fit.

The sheet of mesh is very easy to work with, just cut it bigger and then bend it round the edges, there are lugs on mine to help, I pop them through the mesh and then cable tie it in place.

Before anyone says anything no I haven't driven a 159 but what I've heard is they are quite heavy and this is shown up in the fuel consumption on the smaller engine models.

I suggested this to Smiffy earlier as a consideration but had you thought of doing a diesel conversion to your 166 we never had any over here but sure they were available on the continent . What about a 2.4 10or 20v it would be different and a lot more economic and would have bags of low down torque.

Not a oil burner fan particularly but thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.

I have thought of swapping my 156 and 166 engine over, they would suit the character of the cars better.

Unfortunately its way beyond my skill level, but I know a man who would get the job done in a few hours :LOL:

I don't know if this is relevant to your calculations train of thought or other but one of the things that makes me keep the 164 is that to replace it with anything else of similar spec I would be spending say £3000 then I think what am I getting and the answer in most cases is a newer reg No. So then I think what about much lower mileage and that adds at least another £2-3000 grand that then equates to £6000.

But then if its a diesel I'll be saving fuel and road tax and hopefully reducing repairs . But then £6000 buys a lot of petrol ,tax and servicing and I still have no interest charge on the money I would have borrowed either.

Food for thought maybe.?

Very much my train of thought too. :thumbs:

My main issues with my current 166 is the paint and the lack of torque from the engine, most of the time it doesn't bother me but there are times when you just want to overtake and not have to stir the box and rev the nuts off it.

This isn't helped by the heavy clutch and bad positioning/long throw of the gear lever, if it had the positioning and lever from my 156 it would be much better.

I still love the look and rareness of the 166.

I've decided after some thought that I wont bother sorting the paintwork on my 166

WP_20130918_003.jpg

I have a feeling that this was caused by a mechanical issue, I went into a left hand bend, the back end of the car felt like it stepped out.

I corrected but the car went into a fishtail, next thing I knew it was going up a bank, then it was sky, ground, sky, hedge and STOP!.

I was hanging in the passenger side of the car, someone opened the door and said "Are you OK", I had a quick check and said "Erm yes".

Then he advised me to get out as there was lots of fluids about, I didn't argue.

Fuck me you ok?

:(

Man that looks bad

Incredibly yes, I was thrown around like a rag doll, the car is facing the opposite direction to my direction of travel.

I have a seatbelt burn on my right arm and its a bit swollen, shoulders are a bit stiff but apart from that nothing.

I'm not religious but if there is a god he was watching me today.

From the other side, the Citroen stopped me going through the hedge and possibly down a bank

WP_20130918_002.jpg

This is a bolt the holds on the lower wishbone drivers side, which is the side that has recently had a new upper wishbone and spring

WP_20130918_004.jpg

So where the fuck is the nut, it hasn't been ripped off in the accident, the bolt is still straight and the thread is intact.

This a skid mark left by the driver side front wheel, I'm pretty sure I didn't brake, it looks to me like the wheel has skidded along at a very strange angle.

Strangeskidmark.jpeg?t=1379529439

ah man you just got it back too :(

Yep, it was £1,300 to get it back on the road, but I shall be taking it up with the guy who did the work to find out why there was no bolt on the lower wish bone.

Before anyone asks it wasn't Smaky, from now on he is the only person who will be allowed to touch my Alfas.

the nut was never put on by the look of it, like you said no shear marks. Was it a garage or a one man mechanic?

a proper business, only a small place with 3 people.