K9d

166 Restoration

Now that looks like a nice place to be :thumbs:

It is, when I was in print and was stressed after work, I would get in and by the time the mirrors had unfolded and I fired up that lovely V6 my stress was much reduced.

My GTA was like that, soon as you got in the seat nothing seemed to bother me. The leather still smelt like it was brand new, the dials in front & the rumble when it started :)

That interior is class :thumbs:

Alfa do know how to make good interiors.

The floor mats are pretty minging so I want to source some new genuine ones.

Need to get the aircon re-gassed too.

They used to.

Not so much now.I think the interior in my GT is a let down to what went before

The floor mats are pretty minging so I want to source some new genuine ones.

I got some pretty decent mats for my MiTo which clip onto the poppers on the floor of the car like the genuine mats do. You choose how thick you want them, stitch type, stitch colour aswell & they have lasted well.

I still have the place i got them from if you want it?

Alfa know how to design good interiors

Yes please that would be useful :thumbs:

:thumbs: can't find the receipt but its on the mats anyway so ill have a look tomorow :).

Alfa know how to design good interiors

That's much more accurate :)

Aye. I wouldn't say they know how to screw them together though :LOL:

The 166 is such a lovely place to be though. My old neighbour had one and it was a thing of beauty

Looking really good . Do like the lighter colours against the black really shows off the styling.;)

Been giving the 147 a bit of a spruce up must get some pics when finished too.

Edited by Gibot123

My new (used) key fob turned up yesterday, unfortunately the key blade was much wider than my key so I couldn't swap them over.

I used my old part which houses the key and the new rubber button and front of the fob.

Due to a small difference in the design it needed a bit of work with some pliers and sandpaper to make everything fit, plus a bit of rolled up masking tape inside the rubber part to make the button work properly :LOL:

From the finished result you wouldn't know it had been adjusted to fit on the inside :)

I can't drive it at the moment because a friend of mine has borrowed my cam position sensor to try on his 156 2.5 V6 to try and narrow down why it isn't running right.

Nice thread. I really dug 166. If you'd like to try some other leather cleaning techniques try:leatherique, its pricey but does a fantastic job.

Or golds glycerin soap, and apply with s wet brush. Its what I use and really soften the leather.

Great work.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

Cheers.

I have ordered some different cleaner and conditioner.

Did a 200 mile round trip today to pick up a set of wheel for £50, the wheels aren't too great but there are 2 good tyres so that's worth more than the £50 plus fuel. Whilst I was there the seller said "I've got a new one as well, do you want to make me an offer?", I offered £20 which he seemed more then happy with, it was the spare so completely as new with a brand new tyre, result :yay:

I plan to use the best 5, from the 10 I have, on the car and may have a go at something different with the rest. I fancy trying a polished finish on them.

You going to get them done or you going to have a go yourself ?

I started doing mine on the 164 as they were polished and

Lacquered originally but been using it so really need to get them off.

You can get alloy polishing kits to go on your drill on eBay they are very good and not to expensive but a lot of work to get the paint off and clean up before polishing.

I thought they had a set that were polished on some off the 166 s ?

Edited by Gibot123

I got the mats from these :thumbs:

http://www.carmats4u.com/index.php

Mine were about £45 for a full set & at the time i got a set of universal mats free so put those in over winter to save my nice new 1's getting messed up :) they are a perfect fit too & really well made :)

Going to have a go myself.

I've seen polished ones on ebay and they look :cool:, that the finish I want to go for.

Will have a look for the polishing kit.

I got the mats from these :thumbs:

http://www.carmats4u.com/index.php

Mine were about £45 for a full set & at the time i got a set of universal mats free so put those in over winter to save my nice new 1's getting messed up :) they are a perfect fit too & really well made :)

:thumbs:

Just had a look and they do some good stuff, just have to convince myself that I "need" the £99 set :LOL:

:LOL: i told my Dad to take his shoes off when he got in my car for the £45 set :LOL: i reckon the £99 would be near enough what you would put in your house :LOL::cool: they do have quite a lot of good stuff on there, the boot liners look quite good too :)

Started striping one of my alloys, using nitromors paint stripper Its doing an OK job of it but as said above its hard work.

On some bits where its lifting I used my pressure washer to blast it off, the metal underneath looks :cool:, shame there are scabby bits that ruin the wheel for now.

Still thinking of the polished look, but am open to suggestion, I also fancy a black mirror look but not sure that will suit a red car.

What you need to be careful of is if you use a stripper it may soak into the alloy surface . The problem is you won't know untill you try and re-coat it with laquer and it starts to lift it .

If your going to polish it use a fine paper on a drill disc and get down to a. Even flat surface.

The polishing kit will do the rest but you will need to do it stage by stage . Till its smooth then you start the polishing standard and then the finer paste. It's very strong stuff and you will get them almost chrome like if you take a bit of time and care. Just don't rush it ;)