K9d

166 Restoration

I've replaced the 166 now, with something different.

Its part Italian and part Germany

It has a mighty 2.5 litre engine.

i was going to say a lambo but then i saw the 2.5 bit

:LOL:

wotcha got then? :poke:

None of the above.

The mighty 2.5 is a 4 cylinder producing a whopping 89bhp. :lol;

Fortunately it only has to lug 2,800kg around :(

It cruises comfortably at 80.....................K :)

This is it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hymer-motorhome-NOT-T4-T5-surfbus-/251369929114?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=NrQ10jPueU2ho1VyiS2jlQ4WsvU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Perfect for Mrs A's wicked weekend.

My car weighs more than that.

Did anyone else think "If the van is rockin', don't come knockin'"?

more than 2,800kg, what's it made of lead :LOL:

Knock away, the more the merrier :)

Lots of steel, I think! I think it is 3.5 tonnes. But then I have to tow 3 tonnes so needs to be heavy.

Took the beast out yesterday and spent our first night in her, I have to admire the German build quality everything worked perfectly.

The bed that drops down from above the cab swung down smoothly and silently, the heater work very well it was too hot, the water heater produced lovely hot water and the cooker fried up bacon for breakfast. :)

The Italian part of things, chassis, engine, gearbox, brakes etc, were less German.

The engine is great once it starts a bit noisy but otherwise fine.

The gearbox is good in 1st - 4th but in 5th the gearstick makes a bloody racket which means I have to drive with my fingers on it to keep it quiet. :LOL:

The handling is interesting, it feels like its going to fall over at roundabouts, fortunately it hasn't yet. :yay:

The cab heater has two settings Volcano hot or cryogenic cold :(

But its fun to drive, now I've got used to sitting on the wrong side. :)

Is it still going? Haven't had ay updates since you got it :)

Yep still going, spent a couple of nights in it, both after parties. :)

I've fitted front and rear parking sensors and a rear view camera, replaced all the wood between the dash and the windscreen and fitted sound proofing, its still noisy but better than it was. I'm in the process of fitting cruise control, got a kit from Germany for £110, it uses magnets attached to a drive shaft and a sensor to read them as they pass it, then a vacuum servo to control the throttle.

Had a small issue with a nasty knocking noisy when I used the clutch, this turned out to be the rear engine mount was only attached with one bolt that was clinging on by its fingertips :LOL:, all sorted for the grand cost of £4.15 with some nuts and bolts from Wickes, its now got three bolts and they are made extra secure by locking nuts.

I have a week off in February so we're planning some time away in it.

I haven't updated because there didn't seem to be much interest. :(

cool, sounds like you been busy doing a few bits to it then, got any more pics? :)

Cruise control all fitted and tested :yay:

Somewhere along the line with all my fumbling I've managed to disconnect the speedo cable, which is great for my limited mileage insurance but not so great for knowing how fast I'm going. :LOL:

Tomorrow I will jack the front end up and sort it out, with both wheels off the ground I can test it without having to drive anywhere. :)

Had a problem with the heater control, it had two settings bloody hot and bloody hot :(, further investigation revealed a Nintendo DS game stuck in the heater control stopping it sliding across to the cold setting, I like simple fixes. :)

Cruise control all fitted and tested :yay:

Somewhere along the line with all my fumbling I've managed to disconnect the speedo cable, which is great for my limited mileage insurance but not so great for knowing how fast I'm going. :LOL:

Tomorrow I will jack the front end up and sort it out, with both wheels off the ground I can test it without having to drive anywhere. :)

Had a problem with the heater control, it had two settings bloody hot and bloody hot :(, further investigation revealed a Nintendo DS game stuck in the heater control stopping it sliding across to the cold setting, I like simple fixes. :)

Hehe! Love that!

The previous owner had small children, we've found quite a few Lego bricks and other small toys plus about £10 in loose change :)

That did cross my mind, but I will probably post it back to them.