Sign in to follow this  
K9d

Is my engine mending itself ?

When I first got my 156 2.4 10v jtd, it had a serious issue with the EML coming on when I gave it full throttle in 3rd or 4th and sometimes 2nd. The light would come on at 3k rpm and if I changed up a gear I had no power, which made overtaking tricky.

Since I have had the car Smaky has checked and cleared my codes and used his magic spray on my turbo vane actuator rod. This didn't seem to make much difference at the time and I was supposed to go back and have my codes read again, but I haven't yet 5 months later. :$

I have changed the air filter, blanked of the EGR and occasionally squirted me rod none of which seemed to make any difference, but I have noticed over time that the EML comes on less now.

So today I gave it a blast in 3rd and was up to 4,250rpm before the light came on, then when I changed up, 3rd to 5th, there was power. :D

Why is my car getting better ?

P.S. It does seem to be a bit smokier now when I give it a blast.

Because it was probably run on crappy fuel then sat idle for quite a while, since you've had it the magic spray in the VVT rod has freed up the mechanism, but moreover our southern fuel is cleaner and all the crap in the manifold is getting pulled out and allowing the mill to breath better.

So basically, keep driving it hard and clear all the crap out. :thumbs:

The more I drive it the more I'm liking my diesesal. :D

Cool. :thumbs:

Will it stand up in court, "But Smaky told me to do it your honour" :evil:

Meeeeowww! :LOL:

K9d - Fill it to the brim with Premium Diesel, then empty the tank by driving the car like you stole it! :thumbs:

Smaky will probably give me a slap for this, but I like to use Redex Diesel Treatment in my DERV Golf. Personally, I think it's made a big difference to refinement, performance, economy and levels of exhaust smoke. :)

K9d - Fill it to the brim with Premium Diesel, then empty the tank by driving the car like you stole it! :thumbs:

Smaky will probably give me a slap for this, but I like to use Redex Diesel Treatment in my DERV Golf. Personally, I think it's made a big difference to refinement, performance, economy and levels of exhaust smoke. :)

Lots of people use it swiss. Seems to get ok reviews.. I'm lazy so I just fill my cars with super from the pump rather than carry a half open bottle of treatment in the boot :rolleyes:

Lots of people use it swiss. Seems to get ok reviews.. I'm lazy so I just fill my cars with super from the pump rather than carry a half open bottle of treatment in the boot :rolleyes:

I will slap you :rant: , the treatment is already in the fuel and all your doing is puoring in more contaminants which will eventually clog the injectors (yes, redex cleaner when left standing will congeal) and this causes major EGR, injector, power loss issues, but it rarely happens, all your really doing is wasting money on something that's not needed when you should be saving up t by some green spray paint for your alloys.

So if you use Premium/Super w/e, no treatments needed?

What if you use bog standard fuel? Treatments worth it then?

Exactly.

No.

An update, in the last few days my engine has changed again.

Ever since I've had the car when I start it the pre-heat light, the one that looks like a pube, has flashed for about 8 times, it doesn't do that now. :yay:

The engine has always made a nice growling sound between 2K & 2.5K rpm, it doesn't do that now. :(

The EML would still come ON if I used full throttle for too long, it doesn't do that now. :yay:

The engine sounds different, making a sound that could be something blowing or sucking, but not too loud. :Confused:

What it does do mostly though is rev more freely, there is not the real surge between 2K & 3K revs but a more linear power delivery that doesn't really tail off until 4,750rpm. :Confused:

I've no idea why its doing this and don't know if its a good or bad thing. :Confused:

An update, in the last few days my engine has changed again.

Ever since I've had the car when I start it the pre-heat light, the one that looks like a pube, has flashed for about 8 times, it doesn't do that now. :yay:

The engine has always made a nice growling sound between 2K & 2.5K rpm, it doesn't do that now. :(

The EML would still come ON if I used full throttle for too long, it doesn't do that now. :yay:

The engine sounds different, making a sound that could be something blowing or sucking, but not too loud. :Confused:

What it does do mostly though is rev more freely, there is not the real surge between 2K & 3K revs but a more linear power delivery that doesn't really tail off until 4,750rpm. :Confused:

I've no idea why its doing this and don't know if its a good or bad thing. :Confused:

That all sounds like it's really sorted itself out now.

Cool. :thumbs:

All I need now it to get a job and get my 166 back on the road. :D

Ouch, that doesn't look pretty.

As far as I know the 166 is all good on the inside, I will get you to do an oil change whilst your sorting the rest of the stuff. :thumbs:

I will get you to do an oil change whilst your sorting the rest of the stuff, bitch :thumbs:

Fixed

Another update, after a trick to Smaky's at the weekend he pointed out that all the oil under my bonnet is due to a split turbo hose. :(

I've patched this with some hose repair tape from Halfords, so far it seems to be working, the deeper engine note is back, power is much better and it doesn't whistle.

I still get the flashing, pre-heat ?, light when I start up it flashes 10 times, any clue as to why it does this.

I can still get the overboost issue/EML but its easy to drive around.

Flahing glow plug light = a dead glow plug.

Overboost wont be cured by tape, it'll just be pushed off.

Faulty wheel bearing on the rear O/S = over extended calliper and no pads left.

Do I need to worry about dead glow plug.

Its a temporary fix, until I get a new pipe.

You said the wheel bearing was fine ???

Its done it since a bought the car and wasn't a problem last winter.