Sign in to follow this  
jhc

Squealing brakes

My brakes squeal and its doing my nut in. :(

It's not that they're worn, the pads on both sides have a good 8mm left on them. So its not clips or anything like that. The discs are good too.

Its also too high pitched to be worn pads/clips. Its not the squeak if metal on metal. Its a much higher pitched thin squeal... A bit like tinnitus...

It happens when light-medium braking (not under heavy braking but that might be cos its drowned out by the clunks and bangs of fucked bushes/balljoints) but also when the wheels are at a slight angle. Sometimes it carries on once they're straight but goes with a quick flick of the wheel.

They've been soaked in brake cleaner which fixed it for about half an hour.

The people I rent it from have shown they're about as interested in this as they are the broken air-con (which hasn't worked since I got it and means I have the windows open most of the time, so can't escape the brake noise) and there's a 7 day delay with the touran's respray. So if I can do a quick fix on this I will, it really is driving me a bit mental, like fingernails on a blackboard. :| another week of it and I may go postal...

Is it just a bit of grit (or badger) trapped between the pad and disc?

Try an air compressor in all the little gaps & see if that works? I know you said you tried brake cleaner but i do my brskes with a blast of air every now & again & they go quiet. Might be worth a try :thumbs:

Has it not got a stereo munky ?

Not great for the punters, I'll give you that, but a quick fix none the less.

:)

Remove the pads, give everywhere a good blast with an air gun then smear a little copper slip

on the rear of the pads (not the pads) before refitting them...Should do the trick :thumbs:

+1 to NB, that copper grease is the word.

PITA that you have to do this yourself though Munky - cheeky hire sods.

Don't do a thing, if it's a rented car then you perform any maintenance on it then you are not insured and the company will sue you if there is an accident, get them to sort it and claim loss of earnings if they refuse.

I have a brake squeal on my 156, after about 10 minutes of driving it starts, just after the squealing belt tensioner/guide has stopped. If I touch the brakes or pull the hand brake on a couple of clicks it stops.