Sign in to follow this  
Deemac

CF3 2.4 Lost its MOJO

Had the car for 3 years now. Was so responsive and as the phrase goes "***t off a shovel"

However, on a journey home from Scotland, after pulled into a gas station and after a short break, rejoining the approach road, management light comes on. Limp home and find overboost (p0235) after plugging in Scanner. Never had that on previous similar journeys and rev speeds similar, 3k +

Eventually got what I thought that sorted, new turbo pipes everywhere including VNT small, EGR cleaned (how far should they move?), new MAF, air filter when I find throttle less responsive (used to rev so much easily before) and when giving it some welly when revs go over 3.1k, management light comes on again. Error code P0236. Unexpected voltage to VNT, or similar words.

Changed VNT (Alfa)and that made no difference. Found a 50 Ohm resistance, at Alex's suggestion, through the main connector in front of the air box so bridged. Still, when revs go over 3.1k light comes on. Light eventually goes off when you take revs over 3k again and engine warm again.

Sorry, I'm wandering as I'm just back from the pub and long long story. Fact is that a hill I used to manage 90mph before having to brake for corner, I can now barely reach 50.

WTF's wrong with this machine?

Anyone know any decent diesel techs around the Luton area?

Cheers

Deemac

If you mean the VNT solenoid Alex then that's been replaced with new one. No difference. Even bought another 2nd hand one from Richard on 156.net. No difference.

Agree this is a boost issue as noticeable boost only comes in at 2.2k, whereas before was right across the rev range. Issue is that when you hit 3k revs, light comes on and limp mode initiated.

Cheers

Deemac

Take it to SimplyAlfas? Or there's another one in Borehamwood I think it is?

Take it to SimplyAlfas? Or there's another one in Borehamwood I think it is?

Thanks MrsAlfa,

It's a bit of a trek to Stourbridge and think you're meaning ProAlfa in Watford. Been to the later and wasn't impressed when they told me my rear brakes were both seized when on the ramps. I think I would have noticed that... Take the Effing hand brake off you plonker..... Sheesh.

Most Alfa indies have experience with petrols and have little knowledge of the diesel engines, hence looking for a recommendation of a good diesel tech.

Cheers

Ah fair enough. My husband took his (petrol) GTA to Jamie Porters in Royston, but he wouldn't go back there, as they were supposed to fit the Q2, fix a problem that it had and service it. When he went to collect, they hadn't done the service - so they said don't worry, we'll do it while you wait. 30 minutes later it was done :facepalm: And the fault that needed fixing came back by the time he got home. Not at all happy.

Boost pressure and VNT are 2 different valves, theEGR you say was ceaned, but was the manifold cleaned out aswell? as with all the crud that blocks the EGR there is ultimately far more which doesn't stick there and clogs up the rest of the inlet.

Not forgeting that duff glow plugs can also affect performance and if one is noe retaing heat anymore then it may be an issue with those, but this is normally given away by a flashing glow plug light for 30 seconds after starting, and as always, if you make it to a meeting which I am attending then your always welcome to have the laptop pluged in and I'll see what I can find.

Do also check all the vacuum lines down the back of the engine too, and leak at all will increase the pressure and make the turbo spooling times goout of whack.

If power kicks in above 2.5k revs then I would put good money on the ERG stuck open - they may have cleaned it but did they check that the solinoid is actually working.

If power kicks in above 2.5k revs then I would put good money on the ERG stuck open - they may have cleaned it but did they check that the solinoid is actually working.

EGR not stuck open. Cleaned it myself and check working before replacing.

Original post asked how far should it travel. 1/4" there abouts. Checked function with FES before joining all the pipes up.

Cheers

Boost pressure and VNT are 2 different valves, theEGR you say was ceaned, but was the manifold cleaned out aswell? as with all the crud that blocks the EGR there is ultimately far more which doesn't stick there and clogs up the rest of the inlet.

Not forgeting that duff glow plugs can also affect performance and if one is noe retaing heat anymore then it may be an issue with those, but this is normally given away by a flashing glow plug light for 30 seconds after starting, and as always, if you make it to a meeting which I am attending then your always welcome to have the laptop pluged in and I'll see what I can find.

Do also check all the vacuum lines down the back of the engine too, and leak at all will increase the pressure and make the turbo spooling times goout of whack.

Long long story Part 2.

Well got the car 3 years ago. Had a split in the top turbo hose which was spewing oil over the battery and battery fuse box. Despite this car was a real live wire...

New pipe installed, EGR valve cleaned, throttle body cleaned MAP cleaned and great. Same throttle response/performance except without the black cloud behind.

Was only when coming back from long trip, engine running comfortably over 3k revs, and after a 15 min stop that overboost errors showed themselves. P0235.

Eventually got rid of those, can't remember what I did and car was fine for a month. Then the P0236 errors appeared, meaning that whenever revs went above 3.1k light came on, which it till does.

Have not had an issue with glow plugs, would have materialised over winter and each really cold start not a problem. Started straight away, no misfires and no lights after starting.

P0236 indicates unexpected wrong voltage at VNT, could ECU be faulty?

Have to say though that car had been remapped before I bought it and subsequently had it removed, so from what I've read, some codes may not be reflective of what's really happening.

And breath..........

Cheers

You tried doing a ecu " soft reset " with the battery cables off touching them together. Other than that as alfa pat said inlet pipes .

Sounds like you need some more advice from Smaky if he's about though.

Edited by Gibot123

Take it to SimplyAlfas?

Redaing the review in Classic Car which they did the tech advice for then I'd be worried, for one I don't know of any 156s which had a standard Alloy radiator and to slag off the JTS engine as Colin did is just pure hate, Mine is faultless and so are all the ones I look after. I know the guys quite well and they are good but I personally wouldn't put my car in there, especially after what happened to Annabelles.