Sign in to follow this  
Alex SBY

Alex's Rover Vitesse Coupé

This is a car I bought over the winter, primarily to use as a 'winter hack' after the BMW decided to go a bit wrong and blow its headgasket rather suddenly and spectacularly. Regular viewers will remember that last year I bought a BRG Fastback Vitesse and then sold it to Vard. Well, I soon regretted doing that and deep down had a hankering for another turbocharged 800.

When another friend of mine (Stewart) said he was selling his Vitesse Coupé, I gave it a lot of thought. Once the BMW went breasts skyward and it had been confirmed to me by Stewart that the car had had the steel-caged gearbox bearings fitted at some stage by a former owner, I decided to go for it.

Unsurprisingly for me, it is British Racing Green. Did they ever make any other colour?! :LOL:

Here are some pictures; I'll let them say what they need to say!

DSCF0487.jpg

DSCF0488.jpg

DSCF0489.jpg

DSCF0490.jpg

DSCF0491.jpg

DSCF0492.jpg

DSCF0493.jpg

DSCF0494.jpg

DSCF0495.jpg

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0500.jpg

The car is a 200BHP model, and being a late spec car is essentially a Sterling specification vehicle but with the turbo engine. Since purchase I've had and done a lot to it, including replacement of the radiator, bumper mounts, all sorts of things. The exhaust came with it, and it sounds GOOOOD! :D

Sadly over the cold snap a few weeks back the air con decided to pack up. I'm getting that looked at this week. I think it is the condenser, but on these it can often be pipework fatigue too.

The plan with this car is to keep it tidy, do jobs as and when they need, and just use it. It is immense fun to drive!

Thanks for looking.

Not a fan of Rover.

But that's my problem :)

That looks INCREDIBLY tidy :omg: And all the bits you've done sound like wear and tear, naturally, It's 14 years old!

Sounds/looks like a very good buy, there, Alex. Nice one :thumbs:

That's because they're underrated, very quick for very little cash, easy and cheap to repair and maintain.

:cool:

I have a rover 45 conissuer (spl?)

It's indestructable, completely reliant and fully spec'd out for not much cash. And it looks a bit like a BMW 3 series.

Ask munky, he'll confirm this :D

Robins 45 looked like a 45....

And it wasn't indestructible either :tut: not against a reinforced telegraph pole

He loved it though :)

It's indestructable as in it will just run and run. Telegraph poles aside it's a pretty robust beast :LOL:

I trust it far more than my alfa in which I am continually eyeing the temp gauge and checking for warning lights and listening for each permatation of engine sound and wondering whats going to implode next :LOL::s

I've had lots of Rovers I liked a lot (including two 800s - one blown 4-pot, one naturally aspirated Honda V6), but the MkII 400 (416) I had was a horrible, horrible little car.

It looked alright, and it went alright(ish), but I just hated driving the thing. :tut: I sold it in favour of a Nissan Primera P10 2.0 eGT, which was MUCH nicer. :thumbs:

PS: Why do people bang on endlessly about the K-Series engine? The 1.6 K in my 400 was gutless, characterless and seemingly devoid of any redeeming feature (certainly to my eyes, anyway). And, rather predictably, it bust its head gasket. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nice coupé, Alex. :thumbs: Bang tidy, that. :D

Much as I'd probably not own another, I love the power delivery and the exhaust note of the K16.

Fully agree with you on HHR 400s/45s though - drive well enough, but bland, uninspiring, and just generally slightly depressing to be behind the wheel of.

I like slightly depressing :LOL:

I do have a v6 to counter balance it though :D

I'd ironically always had a fear of the K16 going wrong. A few years back I owned a 218VVC Coupe, that I was forever worried about so eventually sold it.. Then I got a D-Series 416 (bombproof). That then had HGF...

Fast forward to last year, I get a BMW. Enough said.

I've just had word re the air con on the Vitesse. Unsurprisingly it's the condenser that's shot. New one is now ordered that I'll fit myself and then get it regassed.

I'll have to do the same to the BM I think, too...

Fully agree with you on HHR 400s/45s though - drive well enough, but bland, uninspiring, and just generally slightly depressing to be behind the wheel of.

Indeed. :thumbs: The worst kind of roll-it-off-the-production-line blandness. :rolleyes:

Which makes the fact that the MG ZS is a properly cracking steer all the more surprising. :o

I've yet to drive a ZS, can't really judge them tbh. They do look better from the outside though, which is something with the 400/45 shape. It crossed my mind when I had my 416 and was looking at it from the front - it actually does look like a Downs' child. Big wide eyes, nose too high, massive sloping forehead...

2097628_1.jpg

I had a 1998 600 Diesel as a company car for 3 years and 180,000 miles and it never let me down and apart from having one of those silly gearboxes that need 3 pedles i loved it.

Then they decided to 'upgrade' to a VW Passat TDI. The rover was better than the VW in every way.

At 14 months old and 61,000 miles (1000 out of warrenty) the flywheel decided to explode and demolish the gearbox and parts of the engine.

Despite it being just over a year old, with full service history VW would not even offer a discount on the repairs, let alone a warrenty claim.

Got it repaired at a Skoda dealer in the end. (same parts and half the labour charge)

and that ladies and gentlemen is why i will never buy another VW.

I have a rover 45 conissuer (spl?)

It's indestructable, completely reliant and fully spec'd out for not much cash. And it looks a bit like a BMW 3 series.

Ask munky, he'll confirm this :D

No.

No I wont.

And no they don't. :facepalm:

400s/45s etc (HHRs) are as exciting as a wet weekend in Streatham, but they are no worse for it. They just do the job. The trouble was that the car they replaced (the R8) was a very tough act to follow.

I'm more a 'big Rover' man myself anyway. And I'm taking delivery of a 75 in a few weeks....

I'm more a 'big Rover' man myself anyway.

Me too. :thumbs:

Well, with the honourable exception of the SD3 213 (great little cars). :cool:

EDIT: Alex - let us know what you think of the 75 when you get it. You never know, if the 75's any good, a DERV one might become my "fall-back" car of choice. ;)

Will do. The 75 I am getting is a V6 2.5 car. The amount of BMW style features it has is amazing (although FWD, it is pretty much a three series in drag IMO), so it will go well with the 540 and the rest of the fleet.

I cannot deny though that I am still having thoughts about getting an E38 750iL. That seed has been sown in my mind and I cannot seem to erase the thought...

I know, I've driven one ;)

Its a silly conversion, the m60 is a much better swap.

A mate of mine has just (probably through my posts about the 540 on Facebook) bought an E36 328i Touring for an absolute song on ebay.

I could be tempted to get into one of them, too.

Honestly, what's happened to me? I'm just smitten by BMWs now...

Honestly, what's happened to me? I'm just smitten by BMWs now...

Nothing wrong with '90s Bimmers, mate. :thumbs:

It's the ones made in the noughties and beyond that are a bit, er, well, challenging. :rolleyes: