Sign in to follow this  
Vard66

Rover 827 Sterling

This is my current daily, very kindly on loan from Alex SBY until I can use all the parts I have here at my disposal to rebuild one of the Vitesses - the one I was stripping for parts!

287,000 mile 1993 Rover 827 Sterling fastback in British Racing Green, with a beige/cream leather interior.

Rare machine because it's a manual!

Been out for a drive this evening...

427527_10151371318105290_645005289_23395153_815606313_n.jpg

Taking photos of my mate on his SV650, and so while I had the camera, and some nice setting sunlight, I thought I'd snap a few of the 827.

Really do love the way this thing drives, it's tight, smooth, lacks body roll, feels pretty stiff and responsive.

Gratuitous pictures, please excuse that she's not clean - I didn't have time to clean her this afternoon before Will turned up and dragged me out with the camera.

64125_10151371319350290_645005289_23395161_527294349_n.jpg

429962_10151371314400290_645005289_23395137_2033993433_n.jpg

422428_10151371317310290_645005289_23395150_898485511_n.jpg

428256_10151371318605290_645005289_23395157_1434613802_n.jpg

420739_10151371315100290_645005289_23395140_257431070_n.jpg

422860_10151371316300290_645005289_23395145_1377714321_n.jpg

420277_10151371318860290_645005289_23395159_424657283_n.jpg

Plans basically are simply to tidy her up - rusty arches and a badly patched sill, lacquer peel on the roof to be blown over, new plates (because yes, I am aware they're pretty manky) and replace the grille with a non rusty one.

There's also a couple of oddball modifications to be rectified - when I got the car, it had a bright silver gear knob with eight bright green flashing lights in the top of it. :o Not sure why, but it was gone within about an hour, replaced with a standard one out of my crashed Vitesse.

Also some hideous tweeters have been fitted, by machinating the standard tweeter grilles to fit them outside them. Again, not really sure why you'd do that, but I have a couple of spares that will go in the car.

Darkened headlights also don't really work with the car, I don't think; they make the indicators stand out and look odd, so I'll put a set of nice crisp original headlights in her.

I heard my name...! :D

Yep, Vard has this car pretty much for as long as he needs it until we get his Vitesse sorted. I originally bought this old thing to do a Banger Rally in, but we both decided that it was far too good for that, and it would be a waste of a car with such an epic mileage to just paint it in silly colours, and hoon it across Europe, potentially dumping it.

The car needs a steering rack (to be acquired soon), the clutch is higher than my blood-pressure concerning BMW DMFs but it came with a load of spares, and is essentially a nice old car. Rare too, being a manual.

I've already sorted the broken speedo (it used to read 150mph regardless of speed - the mileometer worked accurately however), the broken a/c fan and resistor pack, and a few other jobs.

I know Vard will enjoy it, and loaning him this thing is frankly the least I can do for all his help with the BMW. :)

I'd love to say "yes", but tbh I've not driven the XJ40 since 2007, and the X300 since 2010. When I finally get them taxed (next month and the month after respectively), I want to drive em!

I was just kidding mate, I helped, but I didnt help that much :LOL:

i want the flashing green gear knob:)

You're such a chav

You're such a chav

+1:nonono:

You're such a chav

You're just jealous you didn't say it first! :LOL:

You're such a chav

You're just jealous you didn't say it first! :LOL:

Ummmm

Nah, im not :finger:

I always liked those alloys :)

You Rover boys give me the kick up the ass i need to get my Mini finished just so i can say i drive a Rover again :LOL:

You're such a chav

Seconded. :facepalm:

Well, this car has been with Vard a while now and appears to be providing faithful and reliable service. When I last saw it (about two weeks ago) I did a few odds and ends to it, namely swapping over the headlining and pillar trims from the scrap L reg Vitesse, sorting out the rattling rear seats (the insulation on the catches had disintegrated) and swapped over the headlights and sorted the wiring. Whilst at it I fixed the horn (one had packed up) and relocated the air con relay pack from underneath to inside the engine bay, as per later cars. Whilst at it we also swapped over the wheels for the Roversports that were on the old Vitesse.

Now the cat has been removed, it's apparent that this car smokes, and under wellie it's quite noticeable. Still, at this mileage who can complain :LOL:

We've decided that in the light of the clutch being quite high, the fact there is some tapping (minor) and the smoking to tackle an engine swap. Rather than fit another MK2 827 engine however we have decided to make things more interesting and install a Pre-cat MK1 high compression unit, with the MK1 setup (not legally requiring any cat).

It was originally intended to use the engine from my old limo, but when Chris on the 800 forum told me he has a spare mk1 827 lump with a manual box attached (with just 50k under its belt) it seems less hassle to drop that straight in. No mucking about with changing engine wiring looms then...

The plan is therefore the following:

1. Fetch engine and box from Chris.

2. Extricate old engine from car.

3. Replace cambelt, water pump and clutch, and swap over aircon pump onto new engine.

4. Before refitting engine, replace steering rack (already sourced) and at that time replace balljoints and track rod ends.

5. Using parts for my limo, install mk1 ecu and wire in the gadget that sits in the fuse box area.I might try and graft in the entire interior PGMFI loom from the limo but I think that's unnecessary from what's been said to me.

6. Install new engine/box and connect up.

7. Once that's working, get AC regassed.

8. Replace fuel filler neck (yep, that's done the usual)

9. Replace rear hubs. Originals must be tired after that mileage and they do get noisy after a while of use.

10. After saving anything of use, send out the old engine in style by converting it into a coffee table...

It sounds easy here, but in reality there is a lot of work. Unlike the BM project however we know these cars and have a lot more knowledge.

It's intended to get the engine from Chris in over a week, and get cracking on this shortly after. The short term plan is for Vard to use it until he gets another car. The medium term plan is then to take it on this years rally to Naples. The long term plan is to restore. Once it's back from the rally, using bits from Vards scrap L reg (arch sections, rear bumper, doors) any rally "battlescars" can be swiftly sorted.

So that's the plan. I'm looking forward to cracking on, and ensuring this car lives to well over 300k miles!