K9d

166 Restoration

Yes that is definetly the way to do things.

You will know it when you see it.

Have you heard anything from the garage yet as what happened to the nut.

The insurance company should have the car by now and are going to investigate, will take it from there, don't want to approach the garage myself in case it messes up whatever the insurance company decide to do.

Got a letter from the police to say they are taking no further action regarding the RTC.

Yeah that's the only problem the pedals . Found I got use to it after a while but when I hadn't driven one for a while then went back it fet really awkward.

The sprint sud and 33 are all the same in that respect. Same floor pan like the 147 156 s

You had the tracking checked recently on the megane could be its out a bit.

Edited by Gibot123

The Megane didn't do anything wrong it just didn't give me any confidence, I think the electric power steering means there is no feedback from the front wheels.

I was showing Kathy how bad the rear tyres are on the 147, turned it fairly sharply in a wet carpark and the back end slid round but I always felt in control, don't get that in the Megane.

I will take my 156 tomorrow and see how that feels.

Yes I drove a few clio's with electric steering I really don't like it at all bit strange.

As bad as it sounds I'm beginning to wish I'd had an accident rather than a blow up at least I would be able to get some thing back for the years of no claims I've put in :)

Edited by Gibot123

Cheers :thumbs:

I don't want to buy one that needs loads of work so will give that a miss, it would need a respray at least.

I would go for good bodywork over good mechanicals.

There has been some progress on the finance front, Kathy has agreed that an older car would be :cool:.

She likes S1-S4 Spiders, but doesn't like the style of the Sud, 75 or GTV.

I'm not so keen on S3 & S4 Spiders, don't like the bumpers, sorry MrsA.

I now need to work on her sense of taste.

She does like the MG. :)

Each to their own. Personally I'm not so much a fan of the S2 bumpers. The older the car, the harder and more expensive it is to get parts. Plus, if you are thinking of a classic, you really need to have a garage to keep it in. (I don't know if you have one or if you have one and it's full of other stuff!).

Suds are notorious for rust. Our Alfasud Sprint was lovely but it literally disintegrated. I do like the GTVs though. Our 33 was good, and we only sold it because it was getting to be high mileage.

We never got a 75, but it's something I think he regrets.

What about a nice 166? Oh, wait :facepalm:

Trouble is lots of cars look worse in pictures than in the flesh, if I saw an S3 or S4 in the flesh I may feel differently.

Your right on the price thing though.

Got a garage, but it would need a tidy up.

figured with the sud if I bought it, ran it for a couple of years and kept it up together I could sell it on later and get my money back.

I'm in no rush but love to look, ideally I will get the insurance from the 166 sorted soon.

I took the Spider to work today - love that car!

We're visiting the outlaws in Hampshire this weekend - if you want I can persuade him to take it down and you can have a proper look?!

Where abouts in Hampshire ?

Although the search may be over, I have found the ultimate car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-AUSTIN-MAESTRO-HLE-BEIGE-/251347425164?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a8579578c

the lovely beige paint contrasting with the beige interior is a thing of great beauty, all powered by a fabulous 1275cc engine, handling to die for imagine the looks you would get from the envious masses all jealous of your car. :)

Bwahahahaahaaaaaaa!!!! I trust you ARE joking?!! Have you been talking to Alex Sebbinger?!

Romsey, but might go to Durrington Walls and visit my dad at some point.

Yes I would rather have my feet cut off and walk on the stumps :LOL:

That's still 50 miles away from me.

Who's Alex Sebbinger?

AlexSBY - he's one of the ones who did the BMW Engine exchange with Munky. Mad Rover fan from Rovertech.

Ahh I see, even he must have had some sense of taste.

That gives you a good scope .

I'll keep looking see what I can see.

Think you might be seeing if you can find something old that needs a bit of work , certainly from an investment point of view.

Kathy is getting on board with the idea of a classic and has suggested older than what I've been looking at, she thinks the 80's cars look too 80's :LOL:

Unless I see something special at the right price I probably wont do anything this side of Christmas, but then I'm wondering if they are cheaper in the winter than summer. :thinking;

Yes there is that just before is a good time people boosting their Xmas funds.

I sort of understand where Cathy's coming from they are very boxy and masculine.

70s and a bit in that case just the price limits you a bit . Well for a ready to use one anyway but you never know.

The 916 GTV 24v is not bad around the £3000 mark for a decent one.

But that's back to the newer ones again .