Sign in to follow this  
Morgan

Morgan's Back In An Alfa!

A cheeky little 2001 147 1.6 Twin Spark 3-door, in a fetching shade of light metallic blue. 95k miles, overall tidy condition, and you'll all be pleased to hear, fitted with a MANUAL gearbox.

Here she is:

Alfa_147_zpsf197da4c.jpg

The only downside is that I've only got her for a day or so, as a courtesy car from Autolusso whilst the Golf has its MoT and an air con re-gas. :(

Rather predictably, the old girl is outclassed in every subjective area by the Golf, but it's still fun to drive, in a bouncy, light steering, old-school kind of a way! :LOL:

The lurching into corners is going to take a bit of getting used to after the utterly Germanic and flat-cornering Golf, but it's an experience I am enjoying. :thumbs:

I've always found the trouble with VAG cars whilst they are very good at what they do, they lack the thrill of not knowing if you'll get there, if it will understeer through that corner, will it stop when I hit the brakes etc. :)

Its a bit like Kathy's Megane, it does what it should but it lacks fun.

VAG's are very good at doing what they're told.... how very boring

At least it's not the Fiat 500 again, eh? ;)

Recently swapped the Golf Mk2 for the 147 and have to say I agree with k9d. Despite the 10+ yrs difference the Golf was far more certain and predictable and you had to be really stupid to get it to misbehave. :Yawn: Might have had something to do with the EIbach coilovers and ARBs I had on the Golf :Big Grin: , so not really a fair comparison. :teehee:

Agree with the comments about VAG products. I had a "bog-standard" MkVI Golf TDi SE as a hire car in Italy a few years ago, and it was solid, but boring to drive.

When it came to buying my own Golf, I went for the GT TDi DSG model, chipped up to 170bhp & 280lb/ft. With the GTi's chassis settings, and a properly punchy engine, fun can be had. ;)

Standard ones are a bit "beige", I do agree.

I loved my 1.6 147 :thumbs: was quick enough to have fun in without being too stupid, looked good too :cool: that 1's a great colour :)

I had to get munky to give me driving lessons.

We started with why the hell the car has three frigging pedals. :rant:

:teehee:

You took driving lessons off a taxi driver? I hope they were cheap

:teehee:

Wasn't much of a lesson, really. We started by pulling away in 3rd, then popped it IMMEDIATELY into 4th, and left it there for the rest of the drive. :whistle:

To be honest, I only went along for the promised free seat beadmat and dash-mounted business card holder. :thumbs:

It got worse. Rather than teaching me how to use the strange waggly gearstick thingy and superfluous pedal, he kept telling me that I'd never guess who he'd had in the back of his taxi.

Most distracting. :tut:

Well, there's nothing like having your hand on a gearstick - could say it's a little pleasure infact.....(or possibly even a big one!) ;)

:LOL:

I think there might be something wrong with the 'box on this 147... There's at least 6 inches of lateral play when in gear. Any gear. :LOL:

Well, there's nothing like having your hand on a gearstick - could say it's a little pleasure infact.....(or possibly even a big one!) ;)

:LOL:

If it was anyone else I'd say that was filth.

Somehow I just can't do it.

Diva's right, nothing like playing with a stick as you drive

Six inches of play is ridiculous

Diva's right, nothing like playing with a stick as you drive

Six inches of play is ridiculous

The 'box on this 147 is slacker than a student at the mention of work. :LOL:

Bizarrely, despite the stick being mega-waggly, it's quite slick to use... Work that one out. :Confused: