Sign in to follow this  
Alex SBY

"Something Else"

Obligatory update. Too tired and fed up to do a proper update.

Loom off.

IMG_9893.jpg

Engine out.

IMG_9896.jpg

Empty engine bay.

IMG_9918.jpg

Choice of new powerplants, though all likely to die in the traces.

IMG_9908.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9909.jpg

Early start tomorrow chasing down a specific tool for removing the bastard goddamn dual mass flywheel, which requires a long T50 Torx bit with a cylindrical shaft, something we tried to create earlier.

IMG_9924.jpg

Bed.

Is it just me, or does this look like an awful lot of aggro to increase the capacity of an early '90s BMW wagon by 1,000cc? :Confused:

You blokes are mad, but I love it! :thumbs:

Draper T50 x 100mm (55665). It's the answer to my problems! But can I find anyone with one in stock around Swindon?

Not yet, and that's four listed Draper stockists I've rung since 09:00...

Draper T50 x 100mm (55665). It's the answer to my problems! But can I find anyone with one in stock around Swindon?

Not yet, and that's four listed Draper stockists I've rung since 09:00...

I'm wondering if Smaky could help with this. :Confused:

Drop him a PM, Chris - you never know. :thumbs:

Possibly Morgan, and thanks for the thoughts gentlemen; but we're sorted now. Whilst standing at the parts counter at Dick Lovett Swindon this morning, we decided to get them to run up the official BMW part just to see if a) they could get them in, and B) how much they'd be.

Turns out they're £13.somethingity-something each, and they can get them by 1pm today, so we're going to voyage back into Swinnun later to pick two up.

Possibly Morgan, and thanks for the thoughts gentlemen; but we're sorted now. Whilst standing at the parts counter at Dick Lovett Swindon this morning, we decided to get them to run up the official BMW part just to see if a) they could get them in, and B) how much they'd be.

Turns out they're £13.somethingity-something each, and they can get them by 1pm today, so we're going to voyage back into Swinnun later to pick two up.

:thumbs:

Do I recall, someone in Wiltshire on this forum being a mobile mechanic? K9d perhaps?

Let me rephrase that. Is there anyone in Wiltshire with a f**k off compressor they could bring over?

Turns out Ian has access to a 25hp compressor at work - if that doesn't do it, nothing ever will, but thanks Sphinx.

Can we please scrap this fucking thing?

Have you hit the wall already? :(

I have seen a project to this phse, and through it...

It's gotta be worth it in the end.

Frankly, yes. TBH I wish I'd scrapped it back in November when it went wrong as my gut instinct said to do.

Epic fucking waste of money and load of hassle so far.

I'm also very conscious at how this heap of wank is taking so much time and effort from those who are so kindly helping me with it.

Oh shut up, if i/we didn't want to be here I wouldn't be.

Its just a minor hitch, it will be sorted.

munky annoyingly has a point, Alex :)

They're helping 'cause they want to :thumbs: some good mates you have there

Alex, you've come this far mate... If you don't finish it now, not only will you (and Chris, Ian and Joe) feel like crap, you'll be left with an engine-less BMW (worth only its weight in scrap) and two V8s to get shot of. :tut:

This might feel like a soul-sucker now, but as you and I both know, half-finished projects weigh heavy on the mind for years to come.

Just think a few jumps ahead to how good you're all going to feel when you turn the key, and the newly installed 4.0 V8 fires into life. :thumbs:

Keep the faith, fella. :D

Turns out Ian has access to a 25hp compressor at work - if that doesn't do it, nothing ever will, but thanks Sphinx.

Yeah, mine's a little bit smaller than that. Like...a lot smaller. And technically not mine.

You guys are gonna have a lot of fun when you've finished.

Well, that compressor/gun didn't do the job.

In the end, Ian did get the bolts undone for us - but it took him taking it to T. H. White and using an inch drive, nearly 1000lb-ft gun - the sort of thing they use to assemble motorway crash barriers, but they came straight off.

Apparently we need to buy tools built to work on tractors.

The custom tool also survived nearly a thousand foot-pounds of torque going through it too.

IMG_9928.jpg

And this, this fucking heavy, fucking annoying, fucking awkward pile of crap, is what's been holding us up for three fucking days.

IMG_9931.jpg

Bastard fucking goddamn dual mass flywheel. Was NOT expecting to find a DMF on a 1993 car, so this is doubly frustrating.

Aside from Ian, who, being an utter fucking star and managed to remove that FUCKING flywheel we have decided to pause for the day and take time out from the project, and basically go to the pub and get shitfaced.

I'd actually ordered a brand new DMF (at cost of £320) today, but with Ian's STERLING work (yes, that is a pun) I was able to cancel it.

Right now, I'm working my way through a bottle of white with great company and am so looking forward to getting that 4.0 BIATCH of DRIFTING HEAVEN in that E34.

Morgan - thanks for your encouragement mate. Means a lot :)