Sign in to follow this  
keithyboy

Keithyboy's car of the week

A new feature I've taken it upon myself to bring to you. The first few weeks will probably be inspired by the recent Discovery channel series Assorted animals shagging themselves silly American Icon: The Hot Rod which detailed the history of hot rodding going back to before the war.

This week's car was built by a chap with the slightly silly name Jimmy Shine (which isn't his real name) who has worked with legends like Pete Chapouris who built the California Kid as driven by Martin Sheen in the film of the same name.

This is his flathead powered 1934 Ford pick up Bare Nekid

BareNekid1_jpg.jpg

BareNekid10_jpg.jpg

BareNekid5_jpg.jpg

BareNekid6_jpg.jpg

If this sort of thing floats your boat, I think they are repeating the series quite frequently.

Tune in next Sunday where the winner will be some big gay hot hatch that looks like it was designed by a 5 year old or a supercar that's more stupid than jimmy Shine's name.

The first mainstream rat rod, some would say, it certainly changed the hot rod scene a lot when he built it.

Ironically, he doesn't like it that much and wants to 'finish it'.

Been watching that show too, its very good but chip foose just makes me want to punch him in the face for some reason.

chip foose just makes me want to punch him in the face for some reason.

I think its a combination of the hair and cheesy grin, i dont get the urge to punch him in the face but i really do want to give him a good jab in the eye!

I like Chip a lot but his delivery is a bit wooden to say the least.

As for Jimmy's car, it must be slightly galling to have your properly engineered car built to look much as they were back in the day compared to some of the deathtrap rat rods out there.

We're in Blighty this week for what could possibly be the best Morris Minor in the world.

Built by John Beardmore who, along with his brother robin is well known for building hot Minors and a certain rover V8 powered Reliant Kitten. It features a Fiat 16v twin cam engine (A Fiat 131 block with a 'grale head), a full spaceframe chassis (built in a one-car garage), 178mm widened bodywork, double wishbone suspension front and rear, composite body panels and lots more.

He built it partly as a showcase for his skills and also for hillclimb and tarmac rally use.

Retro_Show_2004_14.JPG

Retro_Show_2004_16.JPG

Retro_Show_2004_17.JPG

Retro_Show_2004_13.JPG

deleted because the spammer nob head has been deleted :cool:

that moggy is deeply sexual :Love:

bet its a bitch to get in and out of though! :LOL:

There will be no access difficulties with next week's car because it isn't a car at all.

well?!

The suspense is killing me! :|

This week's car of the week isn't a car at all. This is what is known as a motorcycle. This one was built by a Brit called Russell Mitchell, who builds custom bikes in California, for the discovery channel show World Biker Build Off. The idea is that 2-3 custom bike builders build a bike then they get judged by the audience at a bike show somewhere.

In 2004 Russell was up against American Joe Martin and Australian Scotty Cox.

This was Joe Martin's bike:

martin_kim2_hzoom.jpg

As you would expect of the Americans, the workmanship is spectacular but it’s not exactly subtle.

And this was Scotty Cox’s

aussie5tv.jpg

All the metalwork is hand-formed aluminium. It’s quite a piece of craftsmanship but a bit OTT for my tastes.

This exercise in simplicity and clean lines was Russell’s bike – Hot rod.

hotRod2.jpg

hotRod3.jpg

hotRod5-1.jpg

Strangely, given that they were judged at an American bike show, the American bike won.

Can't see the first one but the Russell bike is :cool:, my favourite type chopper.

Personally I prefer bobtails with a larger diameter and narrower wheel on the front but apart from that loving the simple look.