Angelom

Maf Problems?

Guys, need help/advice please. Noticed some occasional drops in revs when gearing down and stopping at fourways. Drops to a bout 500rpm and then come up again.

Did oil change this morning and then decided to have a go at cleaning the maf. Poured some surgical spirits/alcohol on points and lightly sweeped with earbud.

Put back and reset by switching ignition to mar and off, as prescribed in thread. Engine light remained on, let idle for about ten minutes and took for a drive. Car drove fine but light remained on.

On return home, switched off and then wouldn't start/idle again. Started car without maf and it worked/idled. Put maf on again, car starts and idles but light remains on.

Should the maf relearn driving conditions now before light goes out or should it be reset using diagnostics to have light goes out ...or... did I just bugger up my working maf?

I'd say you've buggered up the MAF, these are very stroppy when they get touched and the light will need turning off with diags. I'd expect a P0100 code.

Mmm, me and my itchy fingers! No P0100 code using the trial multi ecuscan software though?

Cleaned an old maf I had in the garage yesterday. Supposedly failed few years ago. Car just died on me in traffic, wouldn't start or idle with it afterwards. Cleaned it same way as other, car now starts and drives with it, but light still remain on. Drove about 250kms today with the light on, just a few hiccups here and there in thick traffic. Also don't see any significant change in fuel consumption

Had the same P0100 issue, and P1177, P1178 errors.

Plugged in a MultiECU scanner and read the MAF, it was stuck at 4.7volts or something and didn't move even with the throttle blipped.

Both Lambdas were in Open Loop.

Ordered my MAF and waiting for it to come in soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread but wanted to check with Smaky if its related

My fuel tank reading when key is at MAR will show the actual fuel reading (meaning car is not running yet)

but the moment I start the car, the fuel needle drops to 0 and starts flashing.

I know I can't find the Distance to empty and fuel l/100 won't show due to the error at the fuel meter.

Does the fautly MAF affect all these?

In my opinion it shouldn't, but Smaky will probably know the cause or point you in the right direction.

Me and my itchy fingers! I did bugger up the maf, deciding now wether I should take a 2nd hand original Bosch one for good price or a generic one for same price...

Me and my itchy fingers! I did bugger up the maf, deciding now wether I should take a 2nd hand original Bosch one for good price or a generic one for same price...

Take your MAF out.

Remove the actual sensor fro the tube.

Make a note of the sensors part number NOT the one on the tube.

Search google for other cars that use that sensor and which is cheapest.

Visit that cars part supplier and purchase.

Then mount that sensor in your old but now freshly cleaned tube and remount to car.

I did this a while back and only paid around £50 for a new bosch.

Yep, saw the thread about the sensors, enquired with Opel/Vauxhaul, was 2000 Zar with them. Going to take the 2nd hand Bosch one for 300 Zar. For that price I'd take my chances and hope it lasts.

Got my MAF replaced.

P0100 errors gone

P0300 to P0306 gone

Now waiting to see if the P1176/7/8 errors pop up.

p/s the fuel meter needle is working again.....

The guage will now work because for some reason it is earthed through the ECU, to the MAF, back to the ECU and then to the engine, so if the heater breaks in the MAF then your fuel guage will go wonky.

• Like 1

Got MAF replaced by a new Pierburg sensor for R1200 ZAR, same part also listed for a 1.7 dti Opel corsa utility. Car running and idling fine again.