Sign in to follow this  
Gibot123

Petrol To Diesel?

Ok can I put a 2.4 diesel in my 147

If so what do I need to change presuming I have a complete engine and box what do I need to change on the car?

Fuel tank and lines?

Is the suspension more beefy on a diesel 147?

And wouldn't you need to change the filler hole (where you put the diesel in)

Thought the diesel nozzle is bigger

Aha yes think you might be right looks like I need a donner car then good point the filler not thought about that .so easy to miss the obvious.

I know it sounds a bit too much hastle but might as said be an interesting long term project.

Can't find a decent cheap twinny so may be a thing to collect bits and bobs for next year when the weathers better.

No body seems to want the car as is so see what happens .

I know where there is a 147 diesel in the scappys so maybe it's more possible than I thought.

Possible source of everything except the motor!

The 2.4 was never fitted in a 147, so I'm guessing mounting points will have to be made for it.

The 2.4 is a good engine, if you do find one make sure you get the variable vanes in the turbo moving nice and freely before you drop it in the car.

Ok good point thanks . I am assuming that as the mounting in the 156 147 are the same hence the engine sharing and subframe that the mounts should be available.

Now await a stiff talking to by Smacky Who will probably think I've gone totally off my little trolley . ;)

Edited by Gibot123

Now await a stiff talking to by Smacky Who will probably think I've gone totally off my little trolley . ;)

You have.

Apart from the obvious Engine & gearbox you will ned to change the front Springs & Shocks (Diesel lump is heavier) ECU, Engine wiring loom, Radiator, countless sensors and switches,Fuel Tank filler pipe (if not the whole tank), Exhaust, Engine mounts and lots more stuff will become aparent when you start. Plus there's the time involved if you are doing it yourself, or the massive labour charges if your not.

That's assuming it will fit. The 147 was only ever fitted with the 4 cylinder 1.9L unit (certainly in this country and as far as i'm aware any other). The 2.4 is a 5 Cylinder unit and will be about 20% longer and may not fit in the hole.

Plus there's the whole DVLA thing, You will need to tell them of the change which will alter the amount of road tax you have to pay.

Don't suppose the insurance company will be to thrilled either. Actually the probably will because the can charge you more for having a modified car.

Honestly mate, just by a Diesel 147. Much easier and cheaper.

I'm sure Smaky will be along in a bit with a piece of virtual 4x2 to talk some sense in to you.

yep things always sound better than they are in practice.

Just one of those pipe dream moments :Tounge:

still think it would make for an interesting car

Ok can I put a 2.4 diesel in my 147

If so what do I need to change presuming I have a complete engine and box what do I need to change on the car?

Yes,

Engine mounts, gearbox, driveshafts, ECU, wiring loom, body computer, key chips, dashboard, exhaust, front shocks and springs, alternator, starter.

It would be a seriously quick car, lowered, mapped :cool:

We should always try and follow our dreams at some point.

I want to fast and loud a GTV. Lowered phat wheels sticker bomb LOUD exhaust. One mean mother fucker GTV :evil:

Bollocks to everyone else :D

I managed to find a 2.4 sw very rough but good motor .

Thing is the guy hasn't got back to me yet .

So you never know .

There is a lot of cheap GTV s out there at the mo so that's not a bad idea either.

Just trying to fathom out what to do with a 147 and a 164 there has got to be somthing better than the scrap yard no matter how fiddly it is.

I've had Alfas all my life must be somthing I can cobble together with what I've got .

Yes I think that will be the one to go . Shame just put an mot and tax. On it . Nobody seems interested in buying it it's got Bose sport leather and connect + thought someone would have wanted it for bits!

That also makes it hard to get rid as it's basically a good car everything works except the engine.just don't have the cash at the mo.

Silly as it would be worth £700 with an engine.

Edited by Gibot123

Well at least you could keep the original fuel tank :LOL: