Saabretooth

Skimming Heads 3.2 V6 Busso

I am embarking on the next level of mods for the V6.

Last checked she was doing 265hp on a stock ECU with CF2 and EQL pipes.

I have skimmed the heads and sent my standard cams to be re-profiled and nitride hardened. I should be getting it back sometime next week.

Thing is this, I asked this question on the other side but somehow all the replies got deleted and thus, will need to start afresh on greener pastures.

What do I need to replace once I skimmed the heads, and install new set of cams?

1) Head Gaskets

2) Timing Belts

3) Auxillery Belts

4) Idlers?

Anything else I am missing here?

Hopefully to get it all in before the end of the month, and sending her for a tune up to get everything running.

She is now 55,000 km old, just did her timing/aux belt and water pump, clutch change at 42,000km.

Anything I need to take note of would be great!

Cheers

What's the benefit of having the heads skimmed? And how much you taking off?

Do you need special gaskets?

I would change the belts and tensioner and probably plugs and a fresh oil change

I wouldn't skim the heads unless they REALLY need it, a quick slice just to clean them off is as far as you should go. Whilst they are off then you should REALLY get a full engine GASKET SET, check the pistons and liners for wear, replace the big end shells (on spec), cambelt kit, waterpump, plugs, clean up the valves and seats AND check the tappets for hairline cracks in the skirts.

Auxillary belt... If you've gone that far then you may aswell replace it.

Just be carefull though, if you skim the heads too far then you will end up boncing valves off the pistons and the alteration in compression will cause pinking and the ECU map may require adjustment to allow it to adjust fueling a little more than it's allowed to now.

Haha Good one, you won't know its gone when you didn't even know about it in the first place.

you don't know what you don't know that you didn't know.

• Like 1

I am skimming it enough to get the compression up to 11:1

I have the stock cams re-profiled to have slightly better lift duration. Mild Fast Road cams I would suppose.

The Plenum and TB are going in as well.

The ECU tune will be going in as well after all that is in. Rev limiter up to 7300rpm

I am looking at 290hp or so. 300hp will be a plus.

I'll be posting another topic on standalone ECUs, hope to get some clarity and answers there as well.

its a 55,000km engine with recently changed out parts

1) a full engine GASKET SET,

- Will order a set

2) check the pistons and liners for wear

- Workshop will have to do that

3) replace the big end shells (on spec)

- WHAT IS THAT? could you post a link?

4) cambelt kit

- will have to order a set, even though I just changed it out 10,000km ago

5) waterpump

- Done that 10,000km ago with the metal impeller set. Don't think I need to replace that so soon right?

6) plugs

- Done that 10,000km ago too.

7) clean up the valves and seats

- Workshop will do that

8) check the tappets for hairline cracks in the skirts.

- Workshop will do that too, and replace if necessary

9) Auxillary belt

- ok, will order one more set too..

How about idlers?

or anything else?

Will prepare the list to make an order from the online shops. I save about 30% vs what I order from the local stores here.

Bottom end shells are where the pistons are clamped to the crank I think? They cause a knocking when worn

why not just fit a supercharger

Don't need one.... I'd like the NA set up and want to take it as far as sanely possible.

....and getting it approved here will take an arm, a leg, and probably a testicle or two...

I am rather fond of them so I wouldn't like to part with the my appendages..

Just found out that even after ordering the whole set of gaskets...etc. I was short of cylinder gaskets, which the workshop had to get as well.

So please add it to the list, anyone who is doing this in the future

If a 55,000 Km 3.2 V6 engine needs a rebuild then there is something seriously wrong with the way it's been maintained, skimming the heads and reprofiling the cams is not going to improve anything.

Not so much of a rebuild, but the workshop recommended that I replace the cylinder gaskets since the top is out.

Was he being conservative or was I taken for a ride?

Well once the heads are removed and the linesrs move then you must replace the linner gasket, but it is only an O-ring aroung the base of the step on the liner.

Realised that ebspares forgot to pack it in during shipping.

Getting them to do an express delivery.

It's the 24v gasket set.

Currently i have enough patience in the tank to not hate you yet.....

Hope that EB gets the email and sends out the gaskets out as soon as possible.

Workshop is irritated that they have a wasted hoist space. they see a lot of Alfas daily (especially the 159s.)

• Like 1

To answer your earlier question yes you should do the pump really just because as with the idlers you have to remove the cam belt to change so whatever is part of this change to save you the expense of doing it later .

I'm just struggling as to why you wanted to increase the compression and lower the volume, another down side to skimming the heads is that the cambelt tensioner only has a certain amount of movement, skim too far and you'll never get the belt tensioned (unlikely but possible), the questions your asking though really do make it sound like your being taken for a ride, but the mechanic is doing the right thing in replacing the gaskets, the problem is that you are looking for an increase in performance and this is not going to happen with the work being done, the 3.2 was setup in design as well as it would safely go, everyone who has tried tweeking them has had catastrophic results, Alfa themselves went as far as 3.5 and we found that the lumps cooked, almost all the 3.7/3.8/turbo/supercharged conversions I've seen or heard about have gone bang, very few still remain and they are mainly in South Africa. The worst though are the copies of the Autodelta 3.8 kit touted by members of another forum, I've yet to see one of those run nice and reliably.

To answer your earlier question yes you should do the pump really just because as with the idlers you have to remove the cam belt to change so whatever is part of this change to save you the expense of doing it later .

Thanks, I've only gotten them changed out at 42,000 to the one with the GTV one with the metal impeller.

The idlers and so on have been bought and will be changed together with the rest of the items required to go in with the skimmed heads