Sign in to follow this  
WTI

Should I Get A Petrol One.

As you know i have a Gt 06 Jtdm.

I do on average 6k a year and have owned it 3 years and it has a total now of 30k on the clock.

Trouble is its about a 6 mile commute to work in very busy traffic(Leeds rush hour)and it just doesnt get a good run up to speed even on motorway.

Its just been serviced had the turbo boost split pipe replaced and was getting about 35-36 mpg.Now again ive been getting 31-32.Took the egr off had a look and its sooted up to hell again but the valve moves freely.Gave it all a good clean with brake cleaner put it back on.

I feel il always be having this problem due to short runs and this is the third time egr valve off to clean.Will the manifold be sooted up to hell also and was wondering if my Jtdm has the swirl flaps in the manifold to further fuck things up.

I wasnt looking to get a diesel when i bought it but it was mint with very low mileage.

What do you think Mr Smaky?

Mmmm, short journeys are bad for diesels, like you've noted they clog up quickly, and it you imagine what has got past the EGR then that is what the inlet manifold will look like, it's just choking itself.

Petrol maybe the way to go but JTS, nah, 3.2 Busso, well of course, but again it wont get up to temp and you'll just kill that too.

bin the diesel and get a petrol, you've just got to decide which petrol to get :thumbs:

Well then.Been looking at Brera V6s.Whats your opinion on these Smaky?

Love the looks love the cabin.Is it a step up?

Its a really heavy car & doesn't 'go' as well as its looks from what i've heard. Ive never driven 1 though

Breras with a 2.4 JTDm are the way forward

I test drove one last year and would agree....MPG good too :cool:

Tyas, I am facing a similar issue with my DERV Golf, as my daily commute has gone down from 100 miles a day to about 5 miles a day! :o

Whilst that is excellent news for my fuel bills, it ain't great for the health of my engine. :tut:

To get around this, I regularly slip 200ml of two-stroke oil in the diesel, and use Redex Diesel Treatment with every fill-up. I also treat her to an "Italian tune-up" every now and again, driving at high road speeds, in a gear lower than I would normally be. :cool:

Anything over 2,500rpm for more than 15 minutes at a time is a good rule of thumb. For me, that means doing 80-90mph in 5th gear, rather than 6th.

So far, touch wood, the car is as good as gold. :thumbs: