Sign in to follow this  
LJ_GQV

Avoiding Frozen Doors/windows

Seeing as my MiTo has the frameless windows im thinking any bit of water is going to freeze and stop me from opening the doors in the winter months (like the GTV/spiders do?) so was wondering what is the best thing to use to stop this happening?

I've read about people using WD40 or silicone spray on the rubber door seal but wondered if theres anything anyone has found to be good stopping them from freezing in the cold mornings that works best?

To be honest my windows have never frozen. WD 40 can be used but it makes a bit of a mess. (when I've used it in my doors it has, anyway)

My main advice would be park somewhere protected from frost if possible, and if you wash your car go for a blast afterward to dry everything out.

You can put old socks on wing/door mirrors to stop them freezing,

I use a lock deicer on my door locks. I have found no other way (other than silicone spray) to stop them freezing. If lock deicer isn't available I heat my key with a lighter, as heated lock thingies tend to break (but I am clumsy!)

I really want an alarm with remote start. I'd set all the heaters up at night and just blip a button in the morning :D how easy would that be?!?

Edited by Anjenha

Just Remembered!

Another option is furniture polish. It's less damaging to your seals than silicone or WD.

Spray it on a cloth, then rub onto the seals. Don't spray directly as you'll make a big ol' mess! Works pretty much like the WD does, apparently. Again I don't know this for sure as I have never had frozen windows.

Windows and doors do not freeze, it is the seals and rubber, so you could check them for cracks etc and get them replaced if necessary. This will help too :)

A really thin smear of vasaline around the seals will stop them sticking and a squirt of Plusgas in the locks prevents those freezing up, on the 156 it's worth doing the lock seal removal (as per my guide) as this stops the buttons sticking in when you press them to open the door, hence when you close the door again it will remain closed.

All it takes is 1 press of a button & you'll be banned :tut:

:teehee:

-6 here & the silicone spray on the door seal works a treat :cool:

Nice & frosty with some fog too :o

e7yhezen.jpg

uhema6ym.jpg

Freezing bits on your cars huh...

Just so you all know, it was 36 degrees today in Melbourne :Tounge: :Big Grin: :Rose:

Its not that cold here, I'm still wearing me shorts to work :)