Hi guys need some advice on cleaning up my engine bay

1: What cleaners do i need

2: What polish for the chrome

3: What shouldn't i clean/touch

This what it looks like at the mo

post-75-13418938518_thumb.jpg

thanks

On an old engine of mine we used an oil/diesel mix :$

Worked winders, but wouldn't do it to an Alfa!

Be careful of the plugs :facepalm: believe me :teehee:

I cant see the pic at the moment because it wont load on my phone :grr: use autosol on the chrome intake (and exhaust) for some proper shinyness :D its good stuff, i used it a while back on mine & it cleaned it up really well :thumbs:

Oooo its working now :LOL: use some wire wool on the aluminium covers, just be carefull of the red lettering though, unless you want that silver aswell. Get a new coolant bottle aswell. Think they are about £20 & make it look a lot better :thumbs:

Before & after Autosol

5284f883-370c-06af.jpg

This is the only engine bay pic ive got of mine, you can sort of see the shinyness. I took the under bonnet insulation/sound deadening aswell off so you can hear more :evil:

52848b2a-37af-fd07.jpg

nothing will really do for a resto that u need - your front cover is pretty bad!

i would wait until u need to pop your plenum - eg, cambelt or plugs need doing..

before you do that job, bag the alternator and remove the battery - use a bio-degradable cirtus cleaner and brush that on everything BAR the engine... doing even go there!! - wash out as much of the engie bay metal and fitments as possible, and carefully rinse that down w/ localized spray of water..

ok - clean engine bay, but dirty engine.... go ahead and pop off plenum and if obsessive, the valve covers...

u need them blasted. end of..

water blasting works well... this is industry level pressure used in aviation to strip back parts to bare metal - they will come back like freshly casted parts!! - you will then need to paint the raised letters & numbers if you want them red again..

strangely the water blasting does a good job and repels oil and dirt for a while... pretty cheap doing as well...

or of course you could paint/powder coat em...

then its left to you to polish up the fuel rails and the all important intake trumpets... use appropriate metal polishes for that... will come up a million bucks!!

HTHs

Oooo its working now :LOL: use some wire wool on the aluminium covers, just be carefull of the red lettering though, unless you want that silver aswell. Get a new coolant bottle aswell. Think they are about £20 & make it look a lot better :thumbs:

where u getting a v6 water tank for 20 quid? cheapest i've seen is ebspares and they quoted 42!

There was someone doing them on ebay apparently, i didn't buy 1 because i didn't need a new 1, just a new rad :)

The plenum chamber is the part of the intake system connected directly to the individual intake runners that come from the ports on the head.

In the case of the engine displayed at the top of this thread, it's the bit with 'GTA 3.2 V6' written on it. :thumbs:

OK... A noob question.. what's a Plenum?

A stabilisation chamber for a fluid, be it liquid, gas or plasma, to provide a stable supply of the fluid to the next point. Not to be confused with a manifold or accumulator. But on the V6 the plenum is the manifold on top of the rear head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

where u getting a v6 water tank for 20 quid? cheapest i've seen is ebspares and they quoted 42!

They are only £15 direct from Alfa dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!