Sign in to follow this  
moon_blue

2004 GT 1.9JTDm glow plug warning...

it started on sunday :( went to the car started it drove 20 fast dual carriageway miles, parked up for 20 mins, came back turned the key, glow plug warning flashed and beeped. So I turned her off before trying to start her. Turned her back on again no warning, no beep all fine.

Went to her this morning, no warning and no beeping, but tonight ofter work, warning flashed up again. So I think Im in for new glow plugs.

what do you guys recon?

I don't know about the GT, but a lot of diesels use the glow plug warning as an engine management light

Do you know if this is the case? (check your owners manual)

If you have a separate engine management light then I'd guess, yes, you have some sort of glow plug fault

Thanks for the replies

well the car started faultlessly this morning no beeps or warnings, and the temp was cold enough to see breath, bella said it was ~3°?

Bella is going for a 72k service towards the end of the month at CP in Dundee so it will get looked at, fault codes etc. But could I be doing damage?

At this point, no, but I would suspect that the code is more to do with a clogged EGR as when the plugs degrsde the Glow plug warning is normally flashed up on the infocentre every time you start her up. The milage also points to this and 72K is a belt change service so brace yourself.

Belt kit and water pump, not much really.

I get it all trade and fitted for nothing and it's STILL too much

You guys clearly earn too much money :cry:

Belt kit and water pump, not much really.

I get it all trade and fitted for nothing and it's STILL too much

You guys clearly earn too much money :cry:

Maybe. :coat:

I spoke to Euan at CP and hes good to do the full 72k service, I got what I think is a great deal price wise and he does come highly recommended, courtesy car as well. The service history of Bella does show an EGR replacement at about 40k so I guess shes due.

ERGs do not fail very oftern - if you are doing short trips then it will be more likly because the engine does not get hot and blow all the half burned fuel and soot out.