Sign in to follow this  
WTI

Loss of power and mpg down

Got a GT 1.9 jtdm which has only done 23k.As of late the engine seems flat when i floor it compared to how it used to be.I used to average bout 40 mpg and now im getting bout 34/35 is it the usual EGR problem.And is that normal at this low mileage?

If the power comes in over 2250 revs (approx) then the odds are that the EGR is stuck open, if it does not come in at all then it could be MAF or a problem with the turbo.

You can replace the EGR or have a go at cleaning and releasing the solinoid - have a look at the AO site as there are some good links and write-ups for this issue..

Your car is low mileage, Tyas. I had the same problem (MCSF light came on) so had the EGR cleaned.

It turned out it needed a new MAF also.

Thanks for that mate but at 23k???

If you are only doing low mileage then the engine might not get up to full heat hence it gets clogged up more quickly, they need a good hot run to shift all the gunge out of them - my ERG went the same way at 80k miles and I average 28k per year.

If the power comes in over 2250 revs (approx) then the odds are that the EGR is stuck open, if it does not come in at all then it could be MAF or a problem with the turbo.

You can replace the EGR or have a go at cleaning and releasing the solinoid - have a look at the AO site as there are some good links and write-ups for this issue..

I wouldn't bother with the clutter on AO,

The issue will come down to one of 5 things and more than likely in this order.

1. EGR, it may be a low milage car but long duration short milage journeys at low speed are worse for the engine than High milage short duration ones

2. Split/loose boost hose, you'll see a lack in poewer, acking MPG and morthan ke hear the turbo spinning a little louder, then there's the smoke cloud that will be following you.

3. MAF, unlikely

4. Bad fuel, just as unlikely.

5. VVT sticking, normally this occurs along with a clogged EGR due to the excess crud going through the engine.

I wouldn't bother with the clutter on AO,

The issue will come down to one of 5 things and more than likely in this order.

1. EGR, it may be a low milage car but long duration short milage journeys at low speed are worse for the engine than High milage short duration ones

2. Split/loose boost hose, you'll see a lack in poewer, acking MPG and morthan ke hear the turbo spinning a little louder, then there's the smoke cloud that will be following you.

3. MAF, unlikely

4. Bad fuel, just as unlikely.

5. VVT sticking, normally this occurs along with a clogged EGR due to the excess crud going through the engine.