M.J.S

147 Selespeed

Howdy All,

Since buying the 156 last year my situation has changed, now we need a second car. So naturally I thought of the 147 :)

I'm going to look at a 2.0 TS Selespeed tomorrow and I realised I know very little about the Selespeed box. From what I can gather in City mode its an auto, no need to change gears, in normal mode it's like a manual without a clutch. Is that right? The car has done about 90k miles, is there anything I should be looking out for?

Any tips for driving the Selespeeds? What do I need to know?!

Cheers all

Hi mate have a quick look through the selespeed threads on here. But in general check for last service cambelt etc and good luck :)

Selespeeds are not as troublesome as people would have you think, as long as you look after them, the biggest problem is garages that don't understand them and/or see them as a licence to print money. Keep them serviced and adjusted correctly and they will be no more trouble than any other box. My 156 sele did the thick end of 200k before the box gave up. We also have a selespeed guru on here so don't fret.

City mode is a sort of auto in that you do not change gear yourself as it does it automaticly but it is still a manual gearbox with a hydraulic clutch control so does not feel like a proper auto. Not a fan of City mode myself but put it in semi auto and give yourself time to get used to it and you see just how much fun it can be. The only thing that can catch you out is if you don't change gear and it thinks you should it will change for you. If you happen to leave it a bit late and change at the same time as the car does you can easily skip a gear, but you soon get to know it.

I love Sele's any would not want anything else now.

I always drive mine in semi auto mode, in this mode you can change up and down using either the gear stick, forward for up and back for down, I prefer to use the paddles on the steering wheel, but there are times, usually on roundabouts when the wheel is at the wrong angle and its easier to use the stick.

Even in semi auto mode it will sometimes change gear for you, as you approach a junction and slow down it will shift down for you, so your not left in to high a gear to pull away, also if you hold it to the red line it will shift up for you.

I love my sele, to me its the best of an auto and the best of a manual all in one box :)

So that one was cheap but not cheap enough for me to take the risk with it. no service history and I managed to get a Selespeed warning come up when driving it. The search continues.... Anyone know of a 147 for £1500 or less around Swindon?

In fact i'd love that car as a 3rd toy car, but I cannot justify/afford 3 cars.

You can buy mine for £1,500 I'm near Trowbridge :thumbs:

Its an 02 plate about 87K miles, Silver, leather seats, cruise control, Bose speakers with built in Sub, good tyres all round.

Its an 02 plate about 87K miles, Silver, leather seats, cruise control, Bose speakers with built in Sub, good tyres all round.

Sounds interesting, what engine? Does it use much oil? Cambelt change? Is it a Selespeed?

Got any pics?

2.0 twinny, oil consumption is normal for a twinny, don't know when the cam belt was changed, yes its a sele.

Will try and find some pictures.

Will have to look up when the MOT runs out, its taxed until about July, will have a look tomorrow and let you know.

Hi K9d,

Thinking about it I think we're probably going to go for a manual, but thanks for the offer anyway. Good luck selling it if you want to!

That's alright no problems, I wasn't planning to sell it but if I could get £1,500 for a car I paid £700 for then I'd be daft not to :LOL:

Sure would :)

At least it prompted me to check when the MOT is due, I'm safe until April :yay:

Why the change away from a Sele ?

I guess there are a couple of reasons. 1. My wife is concerned about the switch from driving a Sele to a manual and back again, 2. One less thing to go wrong.

:)

It was never a requirement, it was just that one came up for not much money at all.

Edited by M.J.S

Initially switching from one to the other can cause issues, for me it was hitting the brake when going for the (missing) clutch pedal :LOL:

I have to switch from Auto (sele), to manual RHD (156 and loads of other stuff) and manual LHD with a column gear shift on the right (Motorhome), it takes a few journeys but soon becomes second nature.

Just to wrap this up I ended up buying a 1.6 Lusso 5 door with only 38.5kmiles.

Picking it up tomorrow :)

So I've finally taken a picture but the forum doesn't seem to let me link to skydrive, whats the preferred image hosting on here?

I had the same issue with Skydrive, photobucket was the answer for me.

So here are my 2, 156 SW 2.4 JTDm and the new to me 147 1.6 5 door. Pic taken after it was raining

Picture1.jpg