Sign in to follow this  
ben ben

Convertion

I have a 156 2.0 Twinspark manual which has many engine problems and my friend has a 156 2.0 Selespeed which has gearbox problems (jumping gears), my friend offered to sell me his Selespeed so that i can salvage one car to fix the other, so before i can consider buying it i just want to enquire which one is best (simplest), swapping the manual gearbox into the Selespeed or Swapping the engine from the Selespeed into my manual? What are tue challenges?

I would say swapping the engine over would be the easiest.

All depends what's wrong with the engine.

My engine has been fiddled with a lot of times by unskilled hands Smiffy, now it is in a really bad shape, oil is leaking everywhere, it missfires and engine vibrates so bad, smokes....., So is it a straight swap or there are other alterations that needs to be done?

Sent from my Lumia 510 using Tapatalk

You need to check if the engines are the same cf2 or cf3 then I believe it should be a straight swap. Smaky will be along to confirm but swapping the gear boxes over is a no because one system is selespeed and the other is manual

The easiest route is to swap the engine and get the manual running, but there is a chance I would be able to sort out all the issues on both cars, after all it is only a selespeed and they are possibly the easiest gearboxes to diagnose and repair.

If only you were nearer.... My 156 is Cf2, so just in case his Cf3 is it still a straight swap or there are any obstacles? I understand they have some slight differences but i would be transplanting the whole engine as it is, will it work?

Can't remember the differences tbh I know the 1 has pre cats and post cats and the other only has post cats so the map on the ecu would be different and 1 have cable throttle and one had electronic.

Saying that if your just changing the engine I don't think those matter as long as you keep the ones on your car but smaky will confirm hopefully

If only you were nearer.... My 156 is Cf2, so just in case his Cf3 is it still a straight swap or there are any obstacles? I understand they have some slight differences but i would be transplanting the whole engine as it is, will it work?

OK, you need to keep the original ECU, Loom, Exhaust manifold, Coil packs, water manifold and pipes, oil cooler and dipstick with the car that the engine is going to, btw where are you?

Yeah come on smaky

What's a matter too much for you :whistle:

Maybe he can borrow one of the company vehicles to get there. :)

Not many company cars are heading that far south right now, but as I said earlier then I would opt for transplanting the engine in the manual car, but if you can give me some info on the problems with both then I may be able to point you in the direction of repairing them both.