Sign in to follow this  
WTI

Swe-A147

Been keeping an eye on these Alfa systems for a year or so for the 147. Might be different with the GT, but unfortunately they won't work properly unless you have the relevant wiring on the loom, principally the GPS antenna connection and the 3 tel/mute wires in the green mini ISO plug (not to be confused with the 3 steering wheel control wires in the same plug). Then there's the GPS antenna itself (part of the roof mount aerial), plus I think the mic is in the courtesy light unit, and the steering wheel has two additional phone buttons on it (eight in total). I've been told that none/little of this "additional" stuff is usually fitted as standard, only if the unit was specified when the car was ordered. Whilst this makes sense, it's a PITA if you want to upgrade at a later date. :( So unless you can find a complete system, or a car that is being scrapped that has it in, you'd be better off with an aftermarket kit. Not forgetting that the Alfa unit can't play DVDs, the screen is crap and you have to put your SIM in the special holder for the phone to work :nonono:

If you really want to go this route, then here is a fleabay auction for (what I guess) is most of the "backend" from a 147 (still need to check for 6+ wires in the green mini ISO plug though)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e7aab64de Working headunits tend to come up once every couple of months or so.

Been keeping an eye on these Alfa systems for a year or so for the 147. Might be different with the GT, but unfortunately they won't work properly unless you have the relevant wiring on the loom, principally the GPS antenna connection and the 3 tel/mute wires in the green mini ISO plug (not to be confused with the 3 steering wheel control wires in the same plug). Then there's the GPS antenna itself (part of the roof mount aerial), plus I think the mic is in the courtesy light unit, and the steering wheel has two additional phone buttons on it (eight in total). I've been told that none/little of this "additional" stuff is usually fitted as standard, only if the unit was specified when the car was ordered. Whilst this makes sense, it's a PITA if you want to upgrade at a later date. :( So unless you can find a complete system, or a car that is being scrapped that has it in, you'd be better off with an aftermarket kit. Not forgetting that the Alfa unit can't play DVDs, the screen is crap and you have to put your SIM in the special holder for the phone to work :nonono:

Surely a decent auto sparky could sort all this with the relevant connections?

Surely a decent auto sparky could sort all this with the relevant connections?

Maybe, but still the need the hardware though, never mind having to manufacture elements of wiring loom (unless already present) - haven't looked at wiring diagram, but imagine it will take a few hours (dunno how much sparkies charge). And all for a 10yr+ old system, with a crap screen and out of date maps (unlikely they've been updated very often). Much as I prefer original, fully integrated equipment, IMHO going for something that is more difficult to obtain/fit and probably more expensive (not to mention worse spec), than you can get with aftermarket just doesn't make sense.

Been bidding on a few of these.To be honest was willing to pay over the odds but they are fetching silly money.2apu7eqa.jpg

The other thing to remember is the steering wheel has 4 buttons on each side not the standard three. These are for the phone bit.

I agree with smaky you can get a multi-purpose head unit that does everything this one doesn't including USB,SD card B/tooth. Even Wi-Fi Internet. Some of the Android units can be set up to read multi scan, also removable front as a tablet to use in or out of the car.

I have an original connect + in mine and whilst it fits the car and all works I wouldn't pay that sort of money for it!

Edited by Gibot123