Sign in to follow this  
twisted_pr

147 Arm/disarm Beeps - Turn Down Or Off?

The arm/disarm beeps on my 147 Selespeed ('52 plate) are a bit loud for my (and the neighbours') liking. Just wondering if it was possible to turn them down or off?

I found the 'Alarm Mode' section on FES, but it only gives me options to change country, without an indication of what those settings actually mean.

Thanks in advance.

I think if you change it to 'netherlands' you can disable the beep. I've seen people doing thst on the MiTo as its against the law (something like that anyway) to have a loud beep in that country :thumbs:

There is a way to do it, something to do with the bonnet switch, Smaky turned it off for my 156, I'm sure he'll be along at some point to tell you how. :thumbs:

Thanks for the pointers - will give option 4 a go this evening. Would be nice to find out what the full settings are for each option i.e. microwaves on/off etc.

Slight concern that this messing around might bugger up the insurance, as IIRC don't CAT 1 approved alarms have to beep? The Toad system in my old car allowed you to turn the beeps down, which kept it Thatcham approved and let you know whether the alarm was on/off without waking the whole street! Would be nice if I could do the same on the 147.

On the 147 the bonnet switch trick may not work, but that depends on the version of alarnm fitted, but through FES the system region can be changed, but you may need the code card.

As I got within 10 yards of the car, FES equipped laptop in hand, the alarm went off for no apparent reason whatsoever. Normally I'm more of a believer in coincidence than causation, but this was weird - it's like she knew her alarm was going to be tampered with. As I'd read about the problems some people had had with the alarm going off every 10mins after they'd fiddled with it, plus had a long journey ahead I thought I'd better leave it for now. Later, I jumped into car for said long journey only to discover SatNav had fallen from the windscreen, setting off the internal sensors. :facepalm:

Anyway, now alarm is set to mode 4 (Netherlands) and arms/disarms in silence (yes, you do need the code card) Thanks LJ & Smaky. :thumbs:

-0-

Also, found another manual way courtesy of eLearn CD, which is shamelessly copied and pasted below:

The operating mode can be changed by diagnostic instrument or the following manual procedure:

• set the ignition key to Key-On;
  • activate the hazard warning flasher
  • press the rear fog light control button and hold it down
  • using the ignition key, carry out the following sequence in strict order: Key-Off (for less than 2 s), Key-On (for less than 1 s), Key-Off, starting from the Key-On state, always holding down the rear fog light button.
  • at the end of the sequence, the siren emits 5 beeps to indicate the activation of programming.
  • release the rear fog light switch and press it again the same number of times as the desired mode (each press gives a feedback beep)

If the button is pressed for an invalid number of times (e.g. greater than the number of available operating modes), the siren emits 5 beeps and is cancelled and the country code is not changed:

• set the ignition key to the Key-On position within 10 s of the last press on the rear fog light button.
  • the siren emits the same number of beeps as the number which indicates the selected operating mode: each beep lasts 1 s and is followed by a 0.5 s pause.
  • at the end of the beeps, set the key to the Key-Off position: the BC is programmed in the new operating mode.

Cancelling the procedure

If, during entry of the operating mode, the rear fog lights button is not pressed within an interval of 10 s, the procedure is aborted: in this case the siren emits 5 beeps to warn the operator and the BC maintains the previous operating mode.

The market can be changed from 1,2,3,4,5 using the diagnostic instrument or manual procedure.

It is not possible to enable/disable the market by setting the value 0

-0-

CD also contains the differences between the region codes.

EDIT: Table removed as won't copy and paste properly. However, can be found under "Descriptions > 55 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT > 5580 SPECIAL ACCESSORIES > 5580E anti-theft device":

Aside from the non-beeping arm/disarm, and (ironically) a louder siren the main differences between UK and Netherlands relates to the number of cycles - i.e number of times alarm will go off. This makes me think that changing region will invalidate the Cat 1 status of the alarm, as it will go off for a lesser number of times for each trigger - eg 12 times (UK) vs 3 times (everywhere else) for cut cables, plus a total maximum of 24 times for UK and 12 for everywhere else. If true, guess that means changing alarm region buggers up UK insurance, as everywhere else is a "less robust" standard? So, better to leave/put it in Region 2 (UK)? :Confused:

If the car is stolen, I doubt it would ever be recovered and if she gets smashed up then who is going to worry about a alarm region, so in essence, how will they know?

If the car is stolen, I doubt it would ever be recovered and if she gets smashed up then who is going to worry about a alarm region, so in essence, how will they know?

And as you still have the factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, then the insurance can't argue a thing.