Sign in to follow this  
MrsAlfa

Tyre wear

Just had the GTA fail the MOT due to tyres - seems that they're worn on the insides due to the setting of the "camber" of the wheels.

The tyre place says they can't adjust for camber, only toe in. When I pressed the guy, he said that you need a special nut which was sold as an after market addition to adjust the camber. Sounds a bit suss to me - any ideas? :Confused:

That DOES sound suspect... but it's true...

HAve you had anything done to affect the wheels recently? wishbones or bushes, perhaps?

Nope. Never had a problem until the last time they tried to do the alignment it was out and they said they couldn't adjust it.

So this time, we asked before they charged us £90 and they admitted they couldn't do it. Then they said no one could do it, it wasn't possible. I said so even if I take it to Alfa, they won't be able to do it. No, they said. Then came out with this shit about needing some special bolt. I can't see how that would even work?

Nope. Never had a problem until the last time they tried to do the alignment it was out and they said they couldn't adjust it.

So this time, we asked before they charged us £90 and they admitted they couldn't do it. Then they said no one could do it, it wasn't possible. I said so even if I take it to Alfa, they won't be able to do it. No, they said. Then came out with this shit about needing some special bolt. I can't see how that would even work?

Alfa can do it :facepalm:

Not sure about special tools but it's an Alfa only thing, so I guess they are special. A reputable alfa bod should be able to help. Give your nearest a call and check, mind.

Gonna give Ned a call tomorrow, see what they say.

I'm sure it'll be good news :thumbs:

My GTA rear tyres are the same, inside wear quicker. Just the way they are set up. Will wear quicker the faster, harder you push the car. Try different a tyre michelin, Goodyear or Bridgestone. They ain't gonna be cheap tho

As far as I know the rear camber for any 156 isn't adjustable unless you modify it a considerable amount. Mine's wearing on the inside too because I lowered it with Eibach Sportlines and the camber is noticably negative. If your tyres are wearing inside even if the GTA is at stock ride height, it might be worn bushes.

Just a wild guess though, better wait for Smaky :P

As far as I know the rear camber for any 156 isn't adjustable unless you modify it a considerable amount. Mine's wearing on the inside too because I lowered it with Eibach Sportlines and the camber is noticably negative. If your tyres are wearing inside even if the GTA is at stock ride height, it might be worn bushes.

Just a wild guess though, better wait for Smaky :P

Worn bushes are the normal cause, excessive toe out also causes this as does loads of roundabouts, there is nothing you can do to prevent it as it is a design feature. High speed cars always run with camber so the tyres dig in in the corners. Camber bolts as they are known are useless for the front.

Would it be worth getting them for the back though? It's only the back that is wearing AFAIK.

Would it be worth getting them for the back though? It's only the back that is wearing AFAIK.

Is the back end sitting even whenthe cars empty?