Sign in to follow this  
Alfapud

Alfapuds Alfasud boxer engine refurbishment!

Hi everyone, thought i would share with you my boxer engines refurb!

we all want that beautiful shiny engine sitting in the car, but with some of these older models the bay is a mess! although some not as bad as this :LOL:

(this is a guide with a pre removed engine!)

DSC01496.jpg

in fact the engine wasn't even in the bay of this donor sud

DSC01495.jpg

there it is lurking in the wings of the garage. covered in oil and shoved to one side. this is a 1.5 boxer engine removed from a green cloverleaf TI. was removed at about 30k miles due to a water pump failure .

removal of the camshaft drive belt, turning the drive wheel by hand until the No 1 piston to the TDC (top dead centre) this is seen by a mark on the wheel connecting to the gearbox, remove your drivebelts and drivebelt covers. loosen your drive belt tensioner nut on right hand camshaft. relieve the tension from belt and tighten to secure the nut in this position. Remember don't rotate your crankshaft or you can mess your engine up! repeat on other side.

removing the camshaft heads were next, the didn't have the camcovers on and i didn't want more crap getting into them than there already was.

DSC01514-1.jpg

these are removed still attached to the crankcasing (this is seen in the pic) those log bolts in the picture are inside the crankshaft, there should be six and they are usually quite stiff. be careful of any oil still in the engine. you may need a hammer to ease it off. don't damage any of the connecting faces though!

DSC01515.jpg

best way to clean these is with jizer! http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CC4Q8wIwAQ it's a degreaser and i swear by it! get a tooth brush for the fiddly bits and wire brush for stubborn bits! use a wire brush you don't want anymore! it will get clogged!

i did disassemble the crankhouse further but this is tricky! and i would'nt trust following an internet guide!

(if you get your parts clean-ish use brasso to polish up the tougher areas. it will pull crap off easily!)

with the block cover off any openings use your degreaser again, sand off any tough parts or molding errors on your block. mask off any areas you don't want painting and brush with a anti rust solution i used this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-HAM67 ... 487&sr=1-1

when that's dry feel free to spray over it!

pre-paint!

DSC05319.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

post-paint!

DSC05328.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

Finishing touches.

when all is reattached! (you took it to bits just do the opposite to get it back together! :LOL: )good parts to work on to enhance the look of the engine are the trumpets, air box and cam covers.

Cam covers.

clean them down and prime, the TI covers have lettering and are a bit more fiddly, get that toothbrush out! prime them!

DSC01501.jpg

and spray them any colour you wish!

i contrasted the lettering on my covers

DSC05327.jpg

Airbox

the airbox is simple enough, but it is a good tip to use rust preventer on this though before priming and spraying!

Before!

DSC01491.jpg

After!

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

trumpets!

polish them up! use sandpaper of differing grades. from rough to a fine paper. use wire brush and brasso to buff them! i guess you could use a dremmel or something, but i didn't! :)

Before!

DSC01497.jpg

During!

DSC01503.jpg

After and fitted!

IMG00117-20110619-1536.jpg

IMG00116-20110619-1536.jpg

IMG00118-20110619-1536.jpg

Thanks for reading! hope i helped a bit!

(Information from my head, and bits from the haynes manual! feel free to comment and tell me to add or remove things!_

How on earth did you manage that! Not the rebuild,(looks nice by the way) i'm on about being allowed to rebuild on the dining room table. I've tried before and still have scars to prove it. Perhaps we need a step by step guide on getting around/bribing/conning the wife.

How on earth did you manage that! Not the rebuild,(looks nice by the way) i'm on about being allowed to rebuild on the dining room table. I've tried before and still have scars to prove it. Perhaps we need a step by step guide on getting around/bribing/conning the wife.

It's easy.... Trial seperation.... a few weeks later you decide it's the wrong thing, get back together and she is none the wiser...as long as she stay in her place next to the WHITE appliances.