Sign in to follow this  
2spark

Inner wear on front tyre

Hi all

I have a 156 v6. The front drivers side tyre is wearing on the inside edge. About 1".

The passenger side is fine. There's also a pretty obvious steering wheel wobble at arond 60-70mph. The car stays in a straight line if I relax off the steering so I think the trackings ok?

Is it something to do with the suspension?

Cheers

For the cost of it, tracking should be your first port of call. Most tyre places will do it for 25-50 quid and if you ask nicely while they're at it they will check the wheels are balanced right too.

I had a horrible wobble on my 156 and also uneven tyre wear and after much panicking it turned out to be a 5 gram weight had fallen off 1 wheel :|

Cheers

Would a 4 wheel tracking need to be done or would I just need the fronts

thanks again

most will do all 4 at the same time but its pretty rare the rears need much work.

When are you down here on your holidays? I could get a full 4 wheel laser tracking done and the wheel balances checked for 25 quid at my mot place.

most will do all 4 at the same time but its pretty rare the rears need much work.

When are you down here on your holidays? I could get a full 4 wheel laser tracking done and the wheel balances checked for 25 quid at my mot place.

October :thumbs:

If you can put up with it til then I'll sort it out for you. My money is it being that... ball joints are the next suspect but with them being such a mare to do it makes sense to do the tracking first.

For the cost of it, tracking should be your first port of call. Most tyre places will do it for 25-50 quid and if you ask nicely while they're at it they will check the wheels are balanced right too.

I had a horrible wobble on my 156 and also uneven tyre wear and after much panicking it turned out to be a 5 gram weight had fallen off 1 wheel :|

I would disagree, wear on the inside of of the front tyres is a sign of worn front suspension bushes on either the upper or lower arms, the V6 and JTD shows this wear up quicker due to the heavier engines making the car roll naturally with more camber all the time.