Sign in to follow this  
chrisw4266

aux belt failure

The missus suffered a fright today she phoned me in a panic at the top of our street telling me the alfa had started rattling the died. I sh*t it and ran like a man possessed praying the timing belt hadn't gone bang. I checked the belt by pulling the cover back all ok :yay: Then i found the aux belt tensioner pulley had gone bang and jammed the belt behind it against the body of the tensioner :rant: I then spent the next 20mins freezing under the car with a Stanley knife blade and a screwdriver cutting the belt off and prying the tensioner to get the bas***d off so I could drive it back home. The thing is a pig with no PAS. I've looked online an the tensioner is about £30 to £50 ish an belt £12 to £20 ish, has anyone else had this go because it hasn't rattled, squeaked or give any indication it was on it's way out before tonight :Confused: Also anyone had ago at changing one ? what kind of a job is it? Thanks in advance Chris

Plastic crap :( That's why.

The bearings get hot and the plastic can crack.

Anytime the cambelt is done, do these tensioners (Same on Ford and Vauxhall)

15-20 mins to change according to Mechanic Hubby, who seems to think he can do it in under ten :LOL:

two 5mm allen keys and a 16mm and 10mm Spanner :thumbs:

Thanks for the info I,ll take some pics if any one is interested. It looks fairly straight forward to get to just was a pig on my back, in the freezing cold and in the dark. Love me alfa but the repair bill is racking up already just fitted new temp sensor coz the MSCF warning was intermittently coming on read the code came up temp sensor just fitted a new one job done the genuine one from alfa than the eBay sh*t. :tut:

Plastic crap :( That's why.

The bearings get hot and the plastic can crack.

Anytime the cambelt is done, do these tensioners (Same on Ford and Vauxhall)

15-20 mins to change according to Mechanic Hubby, who seems to think he can do it in under ten :LOL:

two 5mm allen keys and a 16mm and 10mm Spanner :thumbs:

Hubby is right on the timings but needs to rethink his tool sizing.

The parts you'll need are : Auxbelt tensioner, Aux belt Idler and Aux belt.

Tools: Jack, #2 Phillips, 15mm ring spanner, 5mm allen, 8mm allen and 10mm spanner.

The tensioner has probably worn the teflon bush between its 2 half bodys and put the pulley off square throwing the belt off, it's not worth changing any less than I listed above and your lucky it didn't dive into the cambelt cover.

:o

Surely planning to do it himself he'll have a base kit...

In Robin's defence my cambelt hasn't been done for a while (needed doing on Charlotte but the new car has a new one :D ) and mine is one of maybe two Alfas he works on :LOL:

Sorry Chris!!

Thanks again don't worry about buying the tools I'm a mechanic for Honda so have all the basics. The two halves of the tensioner pulley had collapsed and trapped the belt. New gates belt and skf tensioner from Andrew pages Cost me £65 for both the fixed idler looked newer than the tensioner and to be honest the belt was f****d anyway took me about 10 mins on the ramp only need a no2 philips and a 15 mm spanner. However I decided to pull the anti roll bar off due to the D bushes knocking like mad. I'm regretting that as the car sits on the ramp with the cross member hanging on the bottom arms and the engine sat on a transmission jack.

New bar with bushes here tomorrow so all been well back on the road tomorrow night. Also got a mate welding up the manifold as it's blowing at the ports near the head flange bloody alfa at least its not cast.

Thanks again don't worry about buying the tools I'm a mechanic for Honda so have all the basics. The two halves of the tensioner pulley had collapsed and trapped the belt. New gates belt and skf tensioner from Andrew pages Cost me £65 for both the fixed idler looked newer than the tensioner and to be honest the belt was f****d anyway took me about 10 mins on the ramp only need a no2 philips and a 15 mm spanner. However I decided to pull the anti roll bar off due to the D bushes knocking like mad. I'm regretting that as the car sits on the ramp with the cross member hanging on the bottom arms and the engine sat on a transmission jack.

New bar with bushes here tomorrow so all been well back on the road tomorrow night. Also got a mate welding up the manifold as it's blowing at the ports near the head flange bloody alfa at least its not cast.

Being in Swindon I fix more Hondas than ought else so mind your tounge with the Alfa taunts and make sure you release the handbrake before you raise the subframe.

Sorry but alfas do have a reputation however aside from wear an tear stuff I don't find the any worse for faults than any other European, cars Audi and land-rover have far worse failure rates than alfa in my experience and there parts are far more expensive. Anyway off on a rant sorry, the car went back together OK, an the knocking is cured woohoo drives great but wife has just informed me the MCSF light has just come on again so will have to plug it in again tomorrow f**ks sake might be coz I had the full exhaust off and might have not fully connected oxy sensors doh.

BTW Smaky do you work at a dealer or an independent ?.

I used to work for a dealers in Germany and then R&D at Arese, but carry on now just to fill in my spare time, but who better to ask than a designer???

Sorry but alfas do have a reputation however aside from wear an tear stuff I don't find the any worse for faults than any other European, cars Audi and land-rover have far worse failure rates than alfa in my experience and there parts are far more expensive. Anyway off on a rant sorry, the car went back together OK, an the knocking is cured woohoo drives great but wife has just informed me the MCSF light has just come on again so will have to plug it in again tomorrow f**ks sake might be coz I had the full exhaust off and fight have not fully connected oxy sensors doh.

If you welded the exhaust up on the car then you've robably fried the ECU or at least a Lambda.

BTW Smaky do you work at a dealer or an independent ?.

I used to work for a dealers in Germany and then R&D at Arese, but carry on now just to fill in my spare time, but who better to ask than a designer???

Ego back in it's cage!

Sorry but alfas do have a reputation however aside from wear an tear stuff I don't find the any worse for faults than any other European, cars Audi and land-rover have far worse failure rates than alfa in my experience and there parts are far more expensive. Anyway off on a rant sorry, the car went back together OK, an the knocking is cured woohoo drives great but wife has just informed me the MCSF light has just come on again so will have to plug it in again tomorrow f**ks sake might be coz I had the full exhaust off and fight have not fully connected oxy sensors doh.

If you welded the exhaust up on the car then you've robably fried the ECU or at least a Lambda.

No had the manifold off the car and it was gas welded so double sure it's no that that's caused the warning light. The lights gone off now any way will read the code on Tuesday when I take the Alfa to work. I've just replaced the ECT sensor on the thermostat housing coz I had P0114 stored and the temp gauge wasn't working properly, thought I'd cured the MCSF light when I changed that. :rolleyes: Any way no blowing manifold no, knocking from the front it's a joy to drive the little 147 now :LOL: