Sign in to follow this  
K9d

Squealing 156 JTD

My 156, 2.4 JTD, squeals like a pig when I start it up and turn to full lock.

I'm pretty sure its the aux belt being a bit loose and the power steering pump is added extra load and causing the squeal, it also does it at tick over with the AC on but as the AC is useless I don't use it, just open the window.

My car really needs its cam belt changing, but due to lack of funds and me not being sure if I want to keep the car it hasn't been done yet.

My question is, is it possible to tighten the aux belt to stop it squealing and if not is it likely to cause any problems ?

This only happens for about 30 seconds then all is good again.

I'm not 100% on alfa ones but most aux belts have adjusters in there somehow. On bmw's its a nut/cog/ratchet type arrangement that pulls the alternator outwards thus tightening the belt.

I'm not 100% on alfa ones but most aux belts have adjusters in there somehow. On bmw's its a nut/cog/ratchet type arrangement that pulls the alternator outwards thus tightening the belt.

Not on these though.

It's probably the tensioner or idler bearing on the way out.

Not on these though.

If it went what damage could be caused ?

If I'm going to keep it I will require your expertise for the cam belt, etc.

I have a friend who has a nice big drive and he makes good coffee too :D

Not on these though.

Do they not have any adjustment at all or is it a sprung tensioner type of setup that tightens itself?

Not on these though.

If it went what damage could be caused ?

If I'm going to keep it I will require your expertise for the cam belt, etc.

I have a friend who has a nice big drive and he makes good coffee too :D

If the tensioner goes then it's a racket and the belt knobs off, parts cost £160 to replace tensioner, idler and belt.

Not on these though.

Do they not have any adjustment at all or is it a sprung tensioner type of setup that tightens itself?

No Alfa since the introduction of the TS, JTD or Busso V6 in the mid 90's uses a tightening screw to tension the belt. They ALL now use a sprung tensioner of various kinds to achieve the correct rate on the belt, the JTD though also has an eccentric Idler which must be set after the belt is on.

If the tensioner goes then it's a racket and the belt knobs off, parts cost £160 to replace tensioner, idler and belt.

Fingers crossed it last until I get the cam belt done or sell it. :D