Sign in to follow this  
RugbyPete

Niggles with the 156 - please assist

Hi

Im having a few slight niggles with the alfa 156 jtd.

Niggle 1

When cold outside, i try to reverse and i struggle to get it into gear. when its warmed up its perfectly fine, literally sweet as a nut.

When i got the car the linkages were REALLY stiff, to the point the stick wouldnt spring back into place or move from gear to gear easily. I got the garage there and then to lube the pulleys etc. and then it worked sweet, really nice (After quickly googling the forum for a likely cause, then acted like i knew all about it haha!)

So, is it likely to be a pully thing or do i need to change the clutch and/or gear oil as its fine when warm? My first thought was gear oil to some synthetic (Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 ok?) The clutch has only just been done, so Id be concerned if it was that.

Niggle 2

Slight tapping noise when driving along on the drivers side front - ive bought a droplink, guessing it will be that as its so common. Also, ALL the suspension creaks.. go over a speed bump and its like an old pirate ship lol - common? I something i could oil up if its just a spring/ strut grinding against the chassis or component? It has a tow bar, im guessing its had load on it during its short 60k miles.

Niggle 3

Passenger footwell, soaking wet... without stripping the interior, are there any regular weak spots for water?

Niggle 4

Feels down on power - its had a decoke on a recent receipt, any tried and tested boosts for the performance? injector cleaner maybe? Not like i can change the spark plugs.. maybe an air filter is required.. again that didnt look the easiest job when i looked last night. I got slaughtered by a 306 off the slip road, maybe im asking too much of the jtd... it could have been a gti-6 lol

Apart from these very small things, Im still really chuffed with it.. it looks amazing, handles great and everyone comments on how nice it is. I love driving it too (i went on a pointless 40mile journey the other day lol)

What bhp is your JTD? Is it a 2.4 or 1.9?

Niggle 4)

It's glow plugs not spark plugs.

I would consider a full service, oil & filter change, air filter change etc.

Check your ECU (has it gone into limp mode)

Could have a dodgy MAF Sensor? It could be under reading?

And in regards to being beaten by a 306.

A GTi-6 has 167bhp,

A S16 has 155bhp,

A XSi has 135bhp

A Stage 1 Remap HDi has around 120 -125bhp.

A Stage 2 Remap HDI has around 150-155bhp.

The full torque on a stage 2 is unbelievable, you would be surprised what those lil 306's can do with the right mods.

Hi

Im having a few slight niggles with the alfa 156 jtd.

Niggle 1

When cold outside, i try to reverse and i struggle to get it into gear. when its warmed up its perfectly fine, literally sweet as a nut.

When i got the car the linkages were REALLY stiff, to the point the stick wouldnt spring back into place or move from gear to gear easily. I got the garage there and then to lube the pulleys etc. and then it worked sweet, really nice (After quickly googling the forum for a likely cause, then acted like i knew all about it haha!)

So, is it likely to be a pully thing or do i need to change the clutch and/or gear oil as its fine when warm? My first thought was gear oil to some synthetic (Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 ok?) The clutch has only just been done, so Id be concerned if it was that.

I'm guessing you have a 2.4 10V with s speed box??? That doesn't really matter but there is a little problem with the selector assembly that sits in the top of the box, if the roll pin is beginning to shear then it does become troublesome to engage gear, caught early enough then the pin can be replaced and nothing more major than that need be done, if left then you may aswell go in search of a new gearbox, but this could all be down to bite point of the clutch too and you may just need to have the hydraulics bled so that the clutch is released properly for each gear change.

Niggle 2

Slight tapping noise when driving along on the drivers side front - ive bought a droplink, guessing it will be that as its so common. Also, ALL the suspension creaks.. go over a speed bump and its like an old pirate ship lol - common? I something i could oil up if its just a spring/ strut grinding against the chassis or component? It has a tow bar, im guessing its had load on it during its short 60k miles.

Creaks is upper wishbones, knocks are probably ARB bushes which would be best gotten rid of by replacing the whole ARB.

Niggle 3

Passenger footwell, soaking wet... without stripping the interior, are there any regular weak spots for water?

Sunroof? Drain hose has fallen off the glass tray.

Door seals not ully seated around the appature.

Heater matrix leaking,

A/C hoses dripping condensation.

Blocked scuttle panel drain causing the rain water to go in through the cabin air supply.

Niggle 4

Feels down on power - its had a decoke on a recent receipt, any tried and tested boosts for the performance? injector cleaner maybe? Not like i can change the spark plugs.. maybe an air filter is required.. again that didnt look the easiest job when i looked last night. I got slaughtered by a 306 off the slip road, maybe im asking too much of the jtd... it could have been a gti-6 lol

Blocked EGR, split boost hose, perished vacumn hoses, dirty MAP sensor, water in fuel, it really could be any of those, if the glow plug light doesn't flash when she's running, it's not plugs.

Thanks for the reply

No its the 1.9 JTD 16v 2004 140bhp version

Same gearbox then and it is more than likely that the EGR ois blocked causing the downage on power.