Sign in to follow this  
peter2

stuck in 5th

I'm not going to link to that forum, but as long as the guy tops up the reservior to the brim with the system depressurized then there will be enough, but he didn't need to disconnect the actuator hydraulically so shouldn't really need to add any fluid.

I'm not going to link to that forum,
ok, i guess there is something i'm not aware of...
but as long as the guy tops up the reservior to the brim with the system depressurized then there will be enough' date=' but he didn't need to disconnect the actuator hydraulically so shouldn't really need to add any fluid.[/quote'] the actuator was on his desk, so i think he had emptied it (depressurizing), so most of the fluid should be in the reservoir. i told him i have half a litre of cs speed in the boot, he said it will be enough. is the cs speed as hygroscopic as the brake fluid? i'm asking becausue the one left in the selespeed reservoir is quite likely to have been exposed to humidity during the past weeks. would you mix the old and the new one or change it all?

Selespeed fluid has low hydroscopic properties, and if you thought about the reservior, it's ALWAYS open to atmosphere.

HERE I AM!!!!

EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW!!!!

this morning i went to the mechanic with my laptop to calibrate the selespeed, he had called me saying that all the gears engaged well except for fifth and reverse....which refused to engage. you can imagine me swearing... i arrived there, plugged the obd, adjust the rod (it was 24.6 mm, now it's 28.1mm), clutch drain, eol calibration and everything is great now!!! you can't even imagine how happy i am (i know, i know, it's only a car...). the mechanic wanted 300 euros for the work + 20 euros for gear oil, the washer lock, and the grease (??) (+170 euros that i spent for the clutch). i'm happy with it.

i noticed one thing: the system is now able to maintain the pressure for much longer than before: after resting 2 hours, opening the driver door didn't cause the pump to prime...i had noticed this behaviour also last year after having changed the ev0. it stayed so for a couple of weeks then it went back to normal pressure falling rate. i suspect that a bit too much air went into the accumulator...it it plausible?

anyway i would like to thank smaky for his support!! i really owe you a bottle of wine mate!!!

hi all, just an update: everything is fine so far. gear changes are incredibly smooth. jut a couple of questions:

1) I seem to remember there have been a few issues arising only when in city mode, but as far as i understood they were solved in a new release of sele ecu (post 2001)

2) do you know anything about selespeed ecu firmware update? alfa tech claim that their examiner prompted them to update software on several selespeed cars.

That update was aimed at the phase 2 selespeeds from 2000 onwards which had an error in the software and the actual fix was to install the previous software into the eeprom of the Sele ECU, this was only valid for about 500 cars as they caught the problem on the production line and those that got through and out the door should have all had recalls, Examiner though when connecting to the Selespeed ECU does an indentification check and if it finds one of the un-updated ECUs will prompt the technician to update it, all affected cars were LHD so you shouldn't have to worry.

That update was aimed at the phase 2 selespeeds from 2000 onwards which had an error in the software and the actual fix was to install the previous software into the eeprom of the Sele ECU, this was only valid for about 500 cars as they caught the problem on the production line and those that got through and out the door should have all had recalls, Examiner though when connecting to the Selespeed ECU does an indentification check and if it finds one of the un-updated ECUs will prompt the technician to update it, all affected cars were LHD so you shouldn't have to worry.

ok