Sign in to follow this  
flyblo5

Lots Of Noise But No Power

My 2001 Selespeed has kicked me in the balls again.

Going along quite happily then lost power under acceleration.

Idles fine and when stationary all seems fine except a bit more throaty when you rev it. but when driving (i.e. under load) anything more than a slight blip of the accelerator and she bogs down, looses power and makes a lot of noise, sounds very similar to a Subaru Impreza but without the go. Once you eventually get to speed and you can back off the throttle she will go along just fine as long as it's flat. Any sort of hill is a no no. The loss of power is so drastic it's almost undrivable.

Was thinking possibly MAF but there are no warning lights on the dash and no fault codes on MES, (except for P0115 Water temp sensor,but that's a separate issue) and disconnecting it makes no difference.

Answers on a postcard please.

Sounds just like someone has stuffed an apple up your exhaust don't it? :Big Grin:

Could be a blocked exhaust or a melted catalytic converter.

Baz

May be the Lambda. Plugged in MES again and the readings are all over the place. Stuck on zero for a bit then went up to between 700mv and 950mv on idle then spiked at 3951mv at around 2000rpm. Also shows as open loop which I think means buggered.

Please ignore my previous post about blocked exhausts, I had two Alfa web pages open at the same time and posted a reply meant for the other web site here by mistake. :Big Grin:

I think you will find the it is still the MAF. Disconnect the MAF and take it for a drive, if it responds and drives better and power is back, then it is the MAF., replace with new one.

Baz

First thing I did.

Makes no difference at all.The only time it's marginally better is from cold, still does it but not quite as bad, but only for a minute or so.

Was thinking possibly MAF but there are no warning lights on the dash and no fault codes on MES, (except for P0115 Water temp sensor,but that's a separate issue) and disconnecting it makes no difference.

If disconnecting it makes no difference then you have found the area of the problem, first though check that all air inlet duct clamps are tight and that none of the ducts have leaks, then commit to a new MAF.

hi Smaky,

ok so I have an Alfa 147 selespeed 2002

the car wont select any gears just makes a load clank clank sound as it try's to get into gear

it wont go into reverse either

when the car is in stand by (just before start) i can punch thru all the gears but the second i start the engine Clank clank clank

If i push the car and get n bit of momentum then bam !!!! it pops into gear and i can drive normally gear up and down but the second i stop same problem all over again

I have disconnected the Battery that worked once but not again

i have cleaned 3 connectors that i have seen connected to the selespeed

where els do i start looking

or what els can i do

Edited by SovietFly

OK so I changed the MAF (Bosch) and the noise and bogging down has gone and she runs smoothly but is still very down on power as if someone has put a 1.0l in her.

Plugged in to MES and while on tickover the engine speed according to MES was around 4800rpm, when revved it was showing up to 11,000rpm. Drove up the road and back (couldn't go far, no front bumper) and it had dropped to 2800rpm to 3200rpm on tickover.

Getting up early tomorrow to put the bumper and bits on then going to try a throttle reset.

Any other ideas?

No fault codes showing.

Still no good,

Did the throttle reset twice this morning and no different. Idles fine but has no go. Will not rev above 3500 and above about 3000 it starts to sound a bit tappety, as if you are in too high gear. Oddly when you first start up (from hot or cold it shows a slight, and I do mean slight improvement for about 30 seconds then goes back to crap.

ANY ideas very welcome as I am supposed to be driving her to Italy next Sunday (12th) to do the Stelvio Pass and Monday is the last day I can cancel and get at least some of my money back so I need to know one way or the other by Sunday night If it can be sorted.

Edited by flyblo5

Not looking good. Did a quick compression test and no.2 is down to about 100psi but rises to 150 after a few seconds.

So I guess it's head off Saturday tomorrow.