Grimsqueaker

156 Selespeed Won't Start

Evening peoples.

Alfa 156 selespeed 2000

Got in the car to go home after work and it wouldn't start, won't even turn over, after, when you let the key spring back you here a clonk, which I'm guessing is the starter, battery full of life, thought the engine may have seized, but I got it to turn over by selecting 3rd and pushing it forward a couple of feet, all leads are tight, any ideas?

Update, I didn't have my multimeter at work yesterday, but I just checked across the terminals and it's reading 11.43 volts.surely the starter would attempt at that voltage?

11.43 V is not good. 12.1 V is bad enough. 12.6 would be for a fully charged battery.

try jump starting. if it starts, then you got a bad battery.

Update, not the battery at fault but something that is draining the battery.

Put a new battery in Thursday, didn't use the car at the weekend, and it was dead with the dashboard disco yesterday morning,

So now I guess I have to hunt the drain.

Unless something is left on, the usual suspect is a faulty Voltage Regulator in the alternator. It is easy to check, just disconnect the lead going from the Alternator to the battery, leave everything else connected. Measure battery voltage. Leave overnight and see if there is a noticeable drop in battery, if not, then you have found the most likely culprit. :Big Grin:

Baz

Turns out to be that resistor just above the radiator that controls the fan speeds when it gets hot, small drain going through that.