leongsoon

Selespeed Randomly Selecting Gears And Gear Display Flashing

Hi guys! Another new issue with my Selespeed, new to me at least haha! I've read swanzee's post and the problems are somewhat similar, but there are still some differences so I thought I'd put this in a separate thread.

About 2 weeks back while at the traffic lights I noticed the gear number in the instrument cluster flashing, but the Selespeed is working correctly with no issues. The blinking is gone after I restarted the car. This happened another 1 or 2 times with no effect to Selespeed functionality.

About 2 days back while stuck in a crawl the gear number started blinking again, but this time it's sorta become a slot machine with random gear numbers from 2 to 5 coming up. I'm not sure if the car is actually selecting the gears displayed, but if I step on the throttle enough to get the clutch engaged, I can get the car going with the display still blinking. It actually felt like 2nd gear or 3rd gear though. The problem goes away when the car is restarted.

It happened again this morning, and I think the flashing actually stopped once I stopped the car with the engine still running, but I restarted the car anyway and the problem is gone for now.

Is this a problem with the gear selection sensor? I still have a used spare actuator so maybe I can use one of the old sensors for testing but I'm not sure which one to replace. Clutch rod length has been adjusted to roughly 28.2mm about 2 weeks back.

Unfortunately my laptop just died on me, so I haven't managed to run MES yet, and everything is guesswork so far!

This sounds like the sensor on the backplate of the actuator is dirty, normally caused by a leak on one of the selector pistons seals. Swap the sensor from the top with the one on the back plate and see if things change.

Hi! Yea, that's what I thought too based on what I've read, but I wasn't initially sure which sensor it was, matter of fact I'm not even sure if I'm looking at the correct type of sensor haha, and I my spare actuator didn't have any sensors on it anyway!

Sent the car to the workshop, not sure if they cleaned the sensor, but they did replace and repair some wires around that area, changed the clasps at the battery terminals and recalibrated Selespeed again. Still testing the car but all seems to be fine so far! Selespeeds sure are sensitive contraptions!

Thanks very much for the advice Smaky!