Sign in to follow this  
Gibot123

164 24V Thermostat

does anyone know if you can remove the fixed stat in the housing on a 24v 164 and fit a free fitting stat as the housuing stats are really hard to get hold of . I would have tried but dont have an old one to sacrifice at the mo . Was thinking of using the stat from the earlier 12 v model which is a changable one not fixed in the housing.

I'm just wondering if a thermostat off of a later 24V V6 as in a 156 one could fit, otherwist remove the thermostat from the body, and fit a racing stat in the line just after its position.

thanks smaky. :Smug: the only issue i have is that on the 164 the only bleed plug is actually on the stat housing where as the 156 v6 has a bleed on the pipe behind the rear cyl head the 164 doesnt.

I will check out the racing stat though. :im Not Worthy:

thanks smaky. :Smug: the only issue i have is that on the 164 the only bleed plug is actually on the stat housing where as the 156 v6 has a bleed on the pipe behind the rear cyl head the 164 doesnt.

But there is nothing to stop you loosening the highest pipe to bleed it like we used to in the olden days.

Edited by Smaky

Having now got the stat off the car it is possible to clamp the stat and remove I therefore think it should be possible to use the housing and replace the stat itself with one from the later type as they appear to be fitted in the same way just the housing is slightly different in design. Good news Me thinks. Will let you know how it goes when I get the new stat.

Edited by Gibot123

found a stat insert from a 164 2.0 but the sealing ring is a bit too large but as this is only £7.50 not £40 got to be worth a fiddle to see what happens.