leongsoon

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Ts Will Crank But Won't Start

Hi guys! Wonder if anyone has had the same problem as me and managed to solve it?

My 156's been trouble-free lately, or rather I think I've gotten sorta good at solving the Sillyspeed problems and nothing can phase me, until it finally refused to start after 2+ years of ownership, just when my confidence with the car is at an all time high :P

Anyway, over the past few weeks there have been 3 occasions where the car would start and run fine, then after I've parked it for 30 minutes to 2 hours, both in cold and hot weather, the car will crank strongly, but wouldn't start. The first time round I got off lucky and it started after another few tries, a few days ago I managed to start the car after 20 minutes and numerous tries, but it died after idling a while and I had a difficult time restarting it. Once the car restarts it will just run fine like nothing ever happened. It happened again this evening =.=

After the second time this happened, I ran MES and found the following error codes:

P0220 Accelerator Potentiometer

P1221 Accelerator Potentiometer Track 1

P0335 RPM Sensor

P1770 Accelerator Pedal Signal

I also get the occasional

P1769 Pump Driving Relay Stuck

P1760 Brake Pedal Switch

I've tried cleaning some of the connectors hidden behind the glove box, but I'm not really sure if I got the correct ones. I'm gonna see if there's another connector above the accelerator pedal and clean it.

Is there anything else I should do? Thanks guys!

3 real problems there.

Main one - Crank sensor

2nd - Accumulator needs replacing.

3rd - brake pedal switch is faulty

The accelerator pedal faults can be caused by the brake pedal, so for now ignore these.

Edited by Smaky

Thanks guys!

The car started fine this morning but died 10 minutes later at a traffic light, managed to start it and drive it to the workshop. On running MES only P0335 RPM sensor is present, so I've gotten it replaced with a used original sensor now! New one is out of stock at the moment! Any recommended sources for a good crank sensor online?

Regarding the P1760 Brake Pedal Switch, the switch is sorta new, replaced last year, but the workshop guys told me it keeps popping up on the VDC models for some weird reason. Accumulator is sorta new too, so P1769 Pump Driving Relay Stuck is probably caused by a leaky seal around EV0 as you suggested earlier Smaky, I'll try to get it replaced as soon as possible; the accumulator pressure holds on nicely with engine off, it only starts jumping with the engine on.

Thank you very much everybody!