Sign in to follow this  
phels22

New To Selespeed Limp Mode Help!

I've just bought a 2001 156 sportwagon 2.0. It's done 46,000miles. The last owner has had it since 2003, the book is all stamped and I have some bills including cambelt. The test drive was fine but today after driving around for 5 hours repeatedly stopping to do errands etc the bulb failure light came on followed by every single warning light and the selespeed light. The car then went into limp mode.

I had anticipated something like this may happen as the car hasn't been driven much at all for a year, throughout it's life there have been some years where it has done no miles! I've previously bought a lower miler like this which also had teething probs after that it was the best car ever.

The car now seems to be stuck in limp mode, the car is immaculate but the engine bay is a bit grubby and the battery cover is missing exposing the connectors. Around the selespeed oil cap is loads of dirt and sludge.Today was also permanently torrential rain. Before limp mode the gears were smooth & there was no hint of any problems. In limp mode there's a slight clunk down changing into 1st.

The car overall feels tight and the suspension is silent! The sele oil looks low but I'm not really sure what it's supposed be at. I was going to give the car a full service but now this is top priority, any suggestions would be much appreciated! I would like to keep this car long term.

This sounds more like an electrical fault, nothing to do with the gearbox or associated systems, I would recommend you pull out the relays in front of the battery one by one refitting them as you go and make sure the battery terminals are connected tightly, it will also need the fault code/s clearing which is why it's stuck in limp mode, if the problem persists after that I would replace the battery, but that depends on the fault codes which are currently present.