alfizta

Variator Control Valve Version?

Hi people!

I want to replace my 156 variator control valve, but I'm confused about which version to buy... I know they are compatible, but I want to buy the most recent version. My '97 146 has the top version, my '00 156 has the under version, but I'm seeing the latest TS engined alfas on ebay with the top version (???)

My question is, which is the latest version of the variator

or

which version and m.y. is yours?

$(KGrHqJ,!qIFH)N6hbb6BSF9cLI8IQ~~60_58.JPG!BwRK,pg!mk~$(KGrHqZ,!hIEv1+0HSMuBMIMcknjUg~~_1.JPG

I think it's the one with the top seal as opposed to the bottom ring seal but not 100% on this just know that the one in the early GTV engine I swaped was at the bottom and the 2001 147 had the seal at the top but don't think there is any difference in what they do could even be a different manufacturer ?

If smakys about he will probably know but that was the only difference I could see both were in the top of the head though.

The ones you show are the same as the ones I refer to. Think the top pic is the later model .

Edited by Gibot123

Either one will fit, but I advise you to add a little silicone sealant to the seals on the replacement solenoid as these are a common oil leak point on the TS/JTS engines.

I'm aware of that, Smaky. Curiously the top one (on my older 146) is leaking all over the place and the one at the bottom (on my younger 156) has not leaked a drop, the 1st one is working properly, the 2nd has failed... Intriguing why Alfa seem to have returned to the oldest solenoid design...

Thanks everyone!

I can tell you that they have returned to the old style because the newer one has run out of stock. Though ther eis a new chineese copy available for the cheap 166 replica they are building over there.

That's interesting stuff. How do they call that 166 replica there? and where could I check that part on the web?

If it's a Chinese copy it will be called a 1212121777576435432135567876432 twin fire ;) if they can fit it on the boot lid .

If it's a Chinese copy it will be called a 1212121777576435432135567876432 twin fire ;) if they can fit it on the boot lid .

You'll probably find that on the door shoping list

btw Smaky, probably were your posts a long time ago on AO saying that you never had to change a cam sensor on a p1653 fault code that lead me to nail this fault. thanks for all the helpfull posts of yours and many other helpfull alfa romeo enthusiasts!

Hi Smaky! Do you know an easy way to take the cap off the valve of the second picture? I'm atempting to repair it...

Edited by alfizta

Hi Smaky! Do you know an easy way to take the cap off the valve of the second picture? I'm atempting to repair it...

I wouldn't even bother, it's a plug, a wound coil and a magnetic pin and a spring, the only thing that goes wrong is a burnt out coil and that's a pain to fix. for the time it takes a new one is cheaper.

Edited by Smaky

that's what I confirmed after taking it all apart :D haven't got the chance to get to the coil... thank you!