Sign in to follow this  
alfapat

Smokey And Lumpy Idle

Helping a guy with a 2.4 10v before face lift, it has a lumpy idle and is smokey. The diagnostic brings up EGR and Glow circuit. They don't bring on the engine light

To add the egr fault doesn't show when running , the actuator test does nothing to egr valve solenoid or relay not even a click.

My 10v is smoky, blue smoke, on start up but fine after about 30 seconds, I blanked the EGR off 2 years ago and never had any problems.

I get the flashing glow plug light on start up but its been like that since I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Have you checked for split turbo hoses, mine was smoky, black smoke, when I had a split hose.

Have you checked the MAP sensor they can get gunged up.

Hi Pat, can you send me the VIN then I can see which version of the engine is fitted and point you towards the most likely cause and other things to look for which may be causing it.

Craig you need to take a run up here.

Its MOT time soon, if it passes without too much fuss I will bring it round and will take the correct exit from Swindon this time :LOL:

As its on 190,000 miles I'm not surprised by a bit of blue smoke on start up, it seems to be worse the longer I leave it so I'm guessing oil is gathering somewhere and being burnt off on startup.

I'm more likely to bring the 147 round for a cambelt change.

It's a 2.4 CF3 10V, so straight away I would investigate the EGR, the solenoids on those have a habbit of sticking fully open, a soak in diesel of the valve section is normally enough to free it all up. You can remove the solenoid section and run the test, holding the center pin in as you test it it will pop out, it doesn't hurt so putting force on it with your thumb isn't a problem.

Hi Alex , Paul has had to further investigate the disappearance of no.5 # glow plug tip which is missing , I suggested that if there is no compression there , then it may have tried to escape through the exhaust valve, sure enough there isn't, so its head removal i'm afraid.

Hi Alex , Paul has had to further investigate the disappearance of no.5 # glow plug tip which is missing , I suggested that if there is no compression there , then it may have tried to escape through the exhaust valve, sure enough there isn't, so its head removal i'm afraid.

Yup, plus a new cambelt and water pump.