Sign in to follow this  
flyblo5

Cf2 & Cf3 Compatability

I know CF2 and CF3 units are interchangable (providing you use the correct head Gasket) but are the internals different?

I ask because as you probably know my CF3 went bang a few weeks ago and apart from being un-economical to repair the block is too deeply scored to be bored out. The Crankshaft however has just been reground and 3 of the Pistons are ok and i have a couple of spares. I also have a CF2 bottom end with damaged Crank and bearings.

So can i use the CF2 block with the CF3 crank / Con rods/ Pistons (with new shells of coarse) and the thicker CF2 composite Head Gasket. It all looks as if it should be ok and i'll do a trial assembly before getting any new parts but i have a nagging feeling i've heard this will result in bits hitting other bits they aren't supposed to, or am i just paranoid and made it up?

Any ideas before i get the spanners out.

Not seen the remake so can't say.

Back on topic I've just found a decent looking bottom end (yes yes i know) but No. 2 Piston has different numbers stamped on it.

The other three have 3801 and SG2 stamped but No. 2 has 4101 and SG1.

Not measured anything yet but could it be that No.2 has been re-bored and fitted with an oversize unit.?

If not any other ideas and should i run a mile?

Can't check with the other pistons from the old engine until sunday as the car isn't parked at home.

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

Other thing is I think you need to make sure you use all the coil packs from the cf3 .

Just changed my 147 lump for a Gtv one and was told to keep the later coils .

From what I could see every thing else is interchangeable. Crank sensor , oil switch. Variator solenoid etc....

Your probably aware that if the lump is out its a good time for all the other stuff ,

Anti roll bar bushes, clutch and that bl@@dy slave cyl (as it has a tendency to leak once disturbed). Oh and clean all the connectors with a contact cleaning spay while its all apart.

Did mine in the car park with stands and trolley jacks. Not recommend but needs must .!

Have a few spare bits should you get stuck . Bottom end went on mine but the pistons and block is ok so is the head but its done 132,000

So get you out of a tight spot . Think the postage might be a killer though.:)

Edited by Gibot123

Think the postage might be a killer though. :)

Could always come and get them - ROAD TRIP Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks for your reply.

Everything else will be staying as is so no problems.

ARB and most of the other stuff has been changed, in fact most of the car has been changed. Its a Selespeed so no worries about the slave cylinder.

I would suspect that this new bottom end is from a cambelt failure, the piston has been replaced but what about the big end shells?