Sign in to follow this  
millervet

Selespeed Issue, No Reverse Or Neutral; Switch?

I have checked the cables and connectors to the gearbox housing, thinking I might have disturbed them, but they all seem ok. Lacking any other ideas, I readjusted the clutch rod position to 28.01. During the EOL calibration I got an error message, and the gearbox light came on. Tried it again and same result. Has the gearbox been damaged? Don't think I can afford a new gearbox and clutch, so what's next? Is she a scrapper?

Edited by millervet

Next step is to remove the clutch speed sensor from the front of the gearbox, this is the brass cloured one with the red plug, it's a 22mm hex, you're looking for damage to the end of it, if there is then you have a front bearing failure and that will need a rebuild and a clutch.

Can't see any damage to the end, but then again I don't know what a normal one looks like! The end appears smooth and unmarked, and covered in a thin layer of oil. I took a photo of it before replacing it, if that might help. So what's next?

The other question I have is why would taking the gearbox end plate off stop making it possible to select gears manually and make the car put itself itself into gear at startup?

Edited by millervet

Ok, thanks for the reply. I would love to keep the car, but it sounds like it won't make financial sense if your estimate for gearbox repair and clutch replacement is accurate. Plus I doubt anyone in Jersey knows much about selespeed boxes.

Naturally, I meant the Selespeed system, not just the gearbox, but the dilemma remains. I asked the local garage who are the 'official' Alfa mechanics a while back if they could perform a clutch push rod adjustment, and they didn't know what I was taking about. But thanks for trying to help.

One final thought, would there be any point in testing the sensors on the actuator for a fault?

Edited by millervet

That may show something but I think your issue is an internal fault within the gearbox itself, and if your "official" alfa mechanics don't know how to do a clutch rod adjustment then they should be lined up against the wall and shot.

Smaky, Would I be crazy to think about ordering a recon gearbox from, say, Autolusso and asking a friend to attempt replacing the old one? Is it something that you advise to someone who hasn't worked with a Selespeed system before? I assume the clutch should be replaced at the same time.

I have advertised the car locally for spares or repairs, but there hasn't been any interest. https://www.jtinsigh...rtwagon-Estate/

Edited by millervet

I did see a couple on eBay recently but not reconned ones though.

From what I have learned a lot of the alfa techs were never given proper training on the boxes at all just a basic knowledge heard loads of people who have had trouble with dealers that have then used a good experienced indie to sort it out.

I think your question is do you like the car enough to keep it a year or so longer to cover the cost of fixing it.

I think with Smacky s advice you could do the job if you have a bit of mechanical know how. The only problem is the warranty on parts you fit yourself . It's very easy if it is faulty for someone to blame the fault on bad fitting .

From what I have gathered it is a normal 2.0 box with the system for he sele added to it. I don't know if you can just take your actuator and pump etc.. Off and swap them over though you would need to ask Smacky.

There are a couple of clutches on eBay at the mo for £93 for the GTV/147 sele.

• Like 1

If Smaky has the patience to guide me through the gearbox replacement, I would be keen to give it a try. I have a BMW owning friend who thinks Alfas are rubbish, but who is mechanically minded (he owns 24 cars so he'd better be), and he said he's happy to give me a hand. I do really miss driving her, and I keep thinking how she pulled me through the snow last March. I can't just send her to be crushed after that.

Edited by millervet
  • Like 1

Out of interest, I obtained a quote from the local licensed alfalfa garage to replace the gearbox- £2640. :-!

Can I suggest you get Smaky to buy a secondhand gearbox on your behalf and refurbish it, . Or at least check it over and courier to Jersey or you catch the ferry and collect it > It is about a two hour drive to where he lives from Pompeii beside he can certainly give you one to one tuition at the same time. Oxfordshire is not as pretty as Jersey but at least we have SMAKY.. It won't cost £2640.and is that with VAT?

Any idea how much it would cost to get it towed from Poole/Portsmouth to Oxon? The ferry across would be £130 odd one way.

Thanks everyone for your advice, especially Smaky. I was seriously tempted to take the car over on the ferry to Poole, "break down" at the harbour, and get towed up to Oxon and visit Smakyville. However, my head has overruled by heart, and the 156 has been sold for peanuts to a local enthusiast who plans to get it back on the road. My other half was glad that I've finally stopped going on about the car, but she's annoyed that I don't seem to be able to stop reading the forum posts!

Thanks everyone for your advice, especially Smaky. I was seriously tempted to take the car over on the ferry to Poole, "break down" at the harbour, and get towed up to Oxon and visit Smakyville. However, my head has overruled by heart, and the 156 has been sold for peanuts to a local enthusiast who plans to get it back on the road. My other half was glad that I've finally stopped going on about the car, but she's annoyed that I don't seem to be able to stop reading the forum posts!

somehow I think it's heading here anyway....