Sign in to follow this  
alfapat

Fault Codes

Got a friends GT 1.9JTD.Its got a few fault codes which are either something or nothing , I just need some guidance as to whether they are worth doing something with.The fault codes are P0504 brakes switch A/B I can only assume that the switch is dodgy ? The second one is P0238 Boost pressure (4) What can this be , is this switch dodgy as well. The third is u1600 No signal. The fourth is P0704 Transmission/gear system (5) Again is this a dodgy switch . All these are not giving an engine management light at present but it has showed its face before which on one fault would suggest the egr is gummed up around town and the car needs a blast? Are these codes life threatening or not and have these appeared with other folk out there.

I think the EGR is going to be the cause of the pressure issues along with a clogged up MAP sensor on the back of the inlet manifold, to clean this out properly you really need to split the inlet manifold, this though requires removal of the HP fuel pump, but as a temporary fix you can just whip off the butterfly valve from the inlet end and EGR and clean out as much crud as you can. The brake issue will more than likely be the pedal switch and the connector on the ABS pump, check the switch is working on MES and ensure it hasn't snapped a mounting lug off. The U1600 I would think is from a low battery, clear it off and don't worry.