Sign in to follow this  
shug

Brera Side Light Staying On

Hi All

Sorry i'm asking a question on my first post but i've tried on another site and got no replys.

Just recently noticed on my Brera that the passenger side light is staying on,i've checked all the connections and given them a clean with contact cleaner but no difference.

I checked the voltage and its getting 12v when the lights are on and 9.5v when off.

Earth seems to be ok so i've pulled the bulb meanwhile to save the battery.On another site there seems to be some folk with similiar issues with 147's which is leading to the body ecu.aaargh.

Anyone had this and is there an easy fix.

Cheers

Shug

Could it be a parking light? Switch stuck on?

Sorry not really up on new model alfas, smaky will be on,but seems to be doin the night shift lately :thumbs:

Hi smiffy

I checked the parking light they come on ok left and right but as soon as i turn them off it stays on but dimmer,if you follow .

If needed i can jump a wire through a relay from the working side but i'll still have the error on the dash and i believe this will be an mot failure.

Cheers

shug

have you changed any bulbs recently on the car? i changed the sidelight bulbs on my 147 GTA and that made the sidelight bulb stay lit (it wasn't on full, just dim)

Might be a long shot but have you checked all the bulbs? One might of worked loose.

Out of ideas I'm afraid mate :(

I know that on a 156 problems with the rev counter can cause a light to stay on, don't know if its the same on a 147.

Yea i've seen the posts about the rev counter,i don't think the newer 147's 159's and brera's have the same issue.

Really stumped.

Cheers

Shug

Hi All

I had a couple of standard halfords 501 bulbs in the tool box (the car had led's)so i thought i'd fit them.

When i fitted the standard bulb in the side that was staying on it went out and the other side came on,so i put a standard bulb in there to and guess what,everything back to normal(allbeit with a yellow light)and no error on the info centre.

So all good so far,strange eh all i can think is the circuitry in the led's has failed and caused a short of sorts,still hope this helps if anyone else has this issue.

Cheers for the replys

Shug

Hi All

I had a couple of standard halfords 501 bulbs in the tool box (the car had led's)so i thought i'd fit them.

When i fitted the standard bulb in the side that was staying on it went out and the other side came on,so i put a standard bulb in there to and guess what,everything back to normal(allbeit with a yellow light)and no error on the info centre.

So all good so far,strange eh all i can think is the circuitry in the led's has failed and caused a short of sorts,still hope this helps if anyone else has this issue.

Cheers for the replys

Shug

It was led's which messed up mine when i put them in my GTA too :), glad you got it sorted :thumbs:

1 thing you could try (if you wanted) was swap the sidelight bulb with the other side and see if that stays on? then you'll know if its the bulb causing the problem :)

Hi All

Cheers for the replys

Shug

Not the circutry, but the low current draw of the LEDs confusing the CANbus, a problem I have voiced many times on that other bloody forum, if fitting LED lights to the sides, tails, brakes or number plate the special CANbus rated ones are required, but at least it's not a body comp....yet.

Aww smaky don't.

It's strange how the modern cars are,i've had alfa's for around 27 years and although they're more reliable in general there's more stupid niggly things that go wrong nowadays which the average home mechanic can't fix.To be honest i'd rather go back to the hammer and chisel days where i could do almost anything to repair my cars,oh and they were so much easier to work on,you didn't have to spend 3 hrs removing parts to change a fan belt.

Anyway got my grumpy night shift head on,here ends my rant.

Cheers guys

Shug

Edited by shug