Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Loose Ends

Hey Smaky,

So, given i've spent a lot of money and time on this car - I'd like it to be as close to perfect as I can make it. There's a couple of small things, now I have time, I want to address.

For background: the uppers, lowers, swaybar and droplinks are all brand new. I've also replaced all the transverse arms at the rear. The dampers are still original, I'm addressing them in January.

I haven't replaced the rear droplinks or the trailing arm yet. And they may well be the source of this problem..

1. Even though the suspension front and back is more or less new, the car still feels a little loose.. as if there is minor play, especially in the rear. Its not making any major noises, but the car isnt sounding tight (straight off the showroom floor)... it still seems thuddy over minor bumps. The front sounds ok..

I'm thinking it could either be rear droplinks, trailing arms or possibly strut mounts? or would most of these noises go away when i fit new dampers? What do you think?

2. Yesterday, when the car was stationary and the motor off, I wobbled the steering wheel and noticed a very minor knock - its really right at the start of some wear - it's hardly noticeable. But, I want to get onto it before it gets worse...

In your experience, would i look at the tie rod ends or is it more likely going to be the rack? Whats more common?

That steering knock could be the inner track rod joint, there is a ball joint and a rubber bush inside the boot, these both wear with age.

The rear could be a combination, given the age of the car then new shocks wouldn't be a bad idea, even if they were stock, trailing arm bushes will make the car feel wavey at the back, but remember there are buhes at both ends of the arm, so replacing the trailing arm without replacing the hub bush is a waste of time.

Thanks for that, i thought the arm came with both bushes so ill keep that in mind.

Its rock solid in the rear handling wise, so maybe it is the shocks.. Im sure they've seen their best days.

What about strut mounts, so they wear?

Happy Christmas Smaky, and thanks for all your help this year! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had to replace top strut mounts on the rear due to wear, normally it's because the metalwork has rusted away.

Hmmm.. Well i guess that leaves droplinks or trailing arms... As they are the only things i haven't replaced.

Theres no rust in the car.

Or maybe ill just stop chasing noises and save up for a GTA :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Alfa156Melb