Sign in to follow this  
2spark

156 front wishbone replacement

Anyone done thiers?

Mine are pretty much due and even though I've done them on the GTV I have the impression that the 156 is a bit tricky.

I've read guides on how to do them but are there any things I need to look out for or little tricks to make it a bit easier?

Any experience shared welcomed :thumbs:

1, Loosen both front wheel bolts

2, Jackup fron end and support, remove wheels

3, Disconnect droplinks from shock forks on both sides and remove the 2 sliding bolts (7mm hex) from the brake calipers and support out the way

4, Remove lower arm outer ball joint nut and using a large hammer strike the balljoint hard square on to sperate joint

5, Remove shock fork to lower arm bolt

6, Remove 4 bolts from the inner front and rear bushes

7, It may help if you disconnect the upper wishbone balljoint if the lower arm wont pull out

Thanks smakey :thumbs:

Does it make a difference if I strap the susp spring to stop it dropping or is it best not too?

What you can do is once the ball joint is out of the upright is push down the old arm and swing the shock forwards allowing the arm to come right up to the neutral position, tie the shock forwards if it helps,

When rebuilding, just slide in the new arm, fit the 4 bolts into the bushes loosely and connect up the lower ball joint then reconnect the upper arm ball joint, from there reverse the guide.

I will get a guide together with pictures the next arm I do.

What you can do is once the ball joint is out of the upright is push down the old arm and swing the shock forwards allowing the arm to come right up to the neutral position, tie the shock forwards if it helps,

When rebuilding, just slide in the new arm, fit the 4 bolts into the bushes loosely and connect up the lower ball joint then reconnect the upper arm ball joint, from there reverse the guide.

I will get a guide together with pictures the next arm I do.

helpful. I alwys get stuck getting the 4 bolts back in. Lots of swear words are usually muttered! :facepalm: