Sign in to follow this  
06gta

Exhaust Leak On Jts

05 156 JTS SW

Upon cold start I can hear an exhaust leak coming from front of engine for about 20-30 seconds

I suspect a cracked header or gasket issue

Is there an easy way to determine where the leak is coming from to then work on a fix or do I need to start removing heat shields to get a closer look

Thanks in advance

On the JTS it's most common for the flexi pipe to split at first it ticks till it tears right apart, but a tick which clears after a few seconds will more thanlikely be a crack aroud a pipe to plats weld or one of the cat cases is starting to split.

But it may be simpler than that and just be the braket which supports the cats to the block ahs cracked through and as the system heats up it's bending it slightly away and this is enough to silence it. Personally I'd remove this braket first to see if that is the cause, it's worth replacing but I don't have one on mine because it happened on my JTS and I couldn't be bothered to drive to the stealers to get one.