Sign in to follow this  
Lyngaas

Continuous Selespeed Problems(New Actuator!)

Hello.

I bought a 2002 147 selespeed around easter this year and 3 weeks after i bought it it started getting problems, the last owners had used normal automatic oil in the selespeed system and that broke my old gearbox and probably my actuator.

We changed the oil and the gearbox but it still crunched from 3-2 so the mechanic figured it was a damaged actuator as the pump system got it to 55 bar, only issue there was that it dropped to low(below 45). We then had to wait for 9! weeks to get a replacement actuator but in the meantime it seemed the gearbox was damaged by rough gearing on 2nd and 3rd gear.

Last week we had a brand new actuator fitted to get rid of any problems in near future. It still made crunching noises when gearing from 3-2 and 2-3 so we figured the gearbox needed changing(again!). When i change down from 3rd to 2nd it would crunch and put the clutch on but not change to neutral. To get it going again i would have to set it into neutral and then select gear 1 after a complete stop. Then one day it worked perfectly, changed down from 3rd to 2nd twice with the car hot(and cold) and no problems. Today with the engine started it will not select reverse and if i try the N will blink. If i only have the ignition on it will go into every gear(up and down) except reverse, if i try reverse it goes into 3rd and if i try again 4th and then back to neutral and into 3rd...

The pump runs and primes like normal when i open the door, sometimes 4-5 seconds and sometimes 7+ seconds. I have cleaned the relay. It has enough Tutella oil.

On monday i will go back to the garage that fitted the actuator and ask them to fix it, cost free. The gearbox should only be damaged in 3rd and 2nd gear so how could a damaged gearbox cause all of this?

Anyone got any ideas? Im running out of sanity when it comes to this car...

• Like 1

The replacement gearbox was striped and checked for sevicability?

Does the mechanic who is working on this car have the software to set up the clutch rod and calibrate the system?

Is not then any advice would be pointless.

I do not know what the mechanic checked on the gearbox. The garage that changed the actuator did adjust the clutch Rod and i would assume they calibrated it.

OK, the main thing here is that the majority of selespeeds are scraped because the gearbox gives up, so taking a gearbox from a dead car and fitting it to another is a waste of time if it's not been reconditioned, I see this done so many times over here and end up removing and rebuilding the boxes before I can even contemplate going deeper into the issues.

So the main thing is to find out if the box was reconditioned, if he says yes then you are within your rights to have it replaced again for free as I don't believe this box was checked over.

The gearbox was bought of a private ebay seller, had only gone about 60 000km. It was not reconditioned. But the thing i wanna know is, can a broken gearbox cause all of this?

The gearbox has crunched once in reverse and now it wont select it.

It most certainly can, and from what I've read of the symptoms, I'd say the selector input is floating with a broken loop inside the box.

Hopefully it will get picked up today or tomorrow and get fixed.

When i try to put it in reverse it makes a very similliar noise to when ur trying to put a manual into a gear but it wont go in.

I drove the car into the garage and its incredibly jerky. Almost like sitting on the back off a dog humping a leg... I suppose there is alot of small adjustments and such, and now it actually went into reverse on the first try...

Would the gearbox act like this? One day bad another day good?

It may well do, but I think on this I would swap the EV0 valve first, that's the one just forward of the pinchbolt access hole, caution should be taken as this valve also holds the system pressure in and will fly out if both screws are removed without dissapating pressure first.

... Just heard back from the third garage we have used.

He started to look around and nothing was adjusted, no clutch rod, no calibration... NOTHING!

He made all the changes and now it shifts smoothly, just a little slower between first and second gear but he said that could be because it hasnt been used in a while.

So the last garage, Autovia(sandvika,Norway) will never get to touch this car again.

OK, so we are right back at the very first thing that should have been checked and adjusted, because your garage lied to you it's cost a lot in money and time running around in circles to get nowhere. This is a classic case of a garage who's only aim is to make profits by totally ignoring the fact that the simplest thing like servicing the car properly would have prevented all of this. I think a name and shame thread may have to be created so that dodgy traders are avoided by those unwary punters out there.