Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Engine Oil Temp

This is brief 'cos i have chopped the end of my finger off, turns out they're fairly critical to typing i've discovered.

My oil never seems to get hot.. In my experience, after a long drive the oil should be bloody hot to touch, yet mine is warm.. so given the 10w60 specified oil, my worry is that I'll be losing what little flow I might otherwise have if the oil was hot..

I know the car has an oil cooler, would it also have an oil thermostat?

Anyway, would this be indicative of a blockage somewhere?

Edited by Alfa156Melb

From what i've read before i think there is a 'thermostat' which opens a valve when the oil gets to a certain temperature which allows the oil to go through into the oil cooler so that the oil doesnt go through it all the time.

Maybe yours is going through the cooler all the time?

Bad luck about the finger too :(

What's the coolant temp running at? if the oil is cool then the coolant is probably being overcooled OR the oil is of good thermal qualities and able to dump heat efficiently. But basically you want the oil to stay cool so that it's lubricating properties are at their best.

Coolant hangs around the 80-90 area measured in MES.. gauge is reading low though.

It's very good oil, but if oil doesn't get up to temp, then the viscosity is too low and would hamper flow - wouldn't it?

I reckon the oil is about 50 degrees C.. its only warm to touch.

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Th thing with multigrade oils is that you don't want them too hot, running at 50'c for the oil is acceptable and it will be in its 60 viscosity, in Aus I doubt it would even get down to its 10 state as that is specified at an ISO atmosphere at 16 degrees C.