Alfa156Melb

Up-Sizing Tyres

The time has come to start thinking about new tires all round on my 156.

The car has the standard 16" alloys and Pro Kit springs so it's about 30 mm lower than factory.

The current tires on the car are 205/55 R16 and I'm thinking about fitting 215 tires next time round.

My question is whether this is possible in respect to clearances? If it is possible, would I need to fit 215/50 r16's? Otherwise what ratio would I have to look at?

Edited by Alfa156Melb

If it's just 215/50 R16 on stock wheels and Pro Kits you should be pretty fine, it's a pretty popular combination here and I haven't read of any complaints. I'm running 235/40 R18 on Sportlines and it only rubs the fender liners a teeny bit on full lock. I've no idea about my wheel offset but they're flush with the fenders now and the tyres are stretched a bit.

You can calculate the acceptable tyre size difference here: http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

Verify your new tyres are ok for the wheel width - should be 6.5".

You might be able to put 225/50R16 and I think this is the correct overall diameter so doesn't affect speedometer.

You should also check if you need spacers to avoid Rubbing them off on full lock and full shock travel.

However, I don't know if this will actually improve handling/ride. Bigger experts here for this.

Edited by AFLA

TBH, the original size tyre on the 16" rims is OK, handing improvements are gained mainly in suspension. Larger rims just mean higher running cost, more wheel flex and more aquaplaning possibilities.

I've decided to stick to the 205/55 16's.. its what the car's designed for and as you say, less expensive..

Given im about to replace the rear rotors and pads, service it, replace a door trim, repaint the front bumper and upgrade the dampers.. I'm feeling a little poor right now.

Although I noticed today that the pax side front tyre has uneven wear.. the tyre is bald an inch in from the inside edge.. so add to that a wheel alignment.. I hope that's the cause anyway. Pity, cos the tyre has about 40% left on the outside. grr.

Although I noticed today that the pax side front tyre has uneven wear.. the tyre is bald an inch in from the inside edge.. so add to that a wheel alignment.. I hope that's the cause anyway. Pity, cos the tyre has about 40% left on the outside. grr.

It's more likely to be an upper or lower wishbone at fault, at the very worst a shock or spring weakening, but not the tracking that's causing this, so don't bother with alignment... they can only adjust toe angle anyway and that wont be causing the issue.

It's more likely to be an upper or lower wishbone at fault, at the very worst a shock or spring weakening, but not the tracking that's causing this, so don't bother with alignment... they can only adjust toe angle anyway and that wont be causing the issue.

Well, thats the side where the suspension creaking is coming from.. so there you go.

I'll get on to that.

Well, I've now got around to ordering some TWR upper wishbones.. its only taken me two years - I've had it up to my eye balls with the creaking noise :Frustrated: Things move slowly here in oz... anyway will report after they're fitted, thanks to Smaky's how to!