Sign in to follow this  
SP_147GTA

Fat 147 GTA

How would you reduce the weight of a 147GTA without spending a fortune? I ask because I was thinking about making the 'A' in GTA mean something. As I understand the car weighs 1360 kg / 2998 lbs (correct me if im wrong) in standard form and I was wondering what people would do to reduce the weight and what affect it might have on brakes/handling etc.

My thoughts were removing seats front and rear but I want to keep electrics such as windows and double din. Any suggestions welcome, cheers

Oh and anyone who makes the 'lose some weight fatty' remark can shut up. It is holiday weight from 2009 and I am working on it! :omnom:

You don't have to spend anything to lighten a car :Confused:

Rip out everything you dont need. Job jobbed. :thumbs:

Removing seats front and rear will lose a lot. But you might want to keep one...

You don't have to spend anything to lighten a car :Confused:

Rip out everything you dont need. Job jobbed. :thumbs:

Removing seats front and rear will lose a lot. But you might want to keep one...

What he said +1

Car lightening is either ridiculously cheap (as above) or ridiculously expensive (anyone make CF panels for a 147 GTA?) Modern cars have so much more heavy comfort/safety stuff in them than 20 years ago, but it sounds like you want keep most of that? If you do decide to change the all the seats, bagsy first dibs the GTA interior. :cool:

When I first stripped the shitbox I kept all the mod cons (carpet, stereo, electric windows, sunroof, headliner etc) and still lost 150kg. It made a big difference to handling and acceleration.

th__MG_9437Large.jpg

th__MG_9420Large.jpg

Then I got serious about it and took an angle grinder to it. Door skins, electrics, sunroof, spare wheel well, sound deadening, lightweight drivers seat... And only took it down another 100kg ish.

Sadly it never got used again in anger so I didn't get to enjoy that extra weight loss properly. :(

One thing I will say is if you want it to be a daily driver, don't strip it, you will regret it.

I think maybe this car is the wrong car to take everything out of, not a daily drive at all...havent seen the thing for best part of a month! Like what you did with the 'shitbox'.

Maybe I need to get a cheap cheap car which I can totally strip out and not care about too much?

That's a much better idea. :LOL:

Something cheap and shit to abuse is a lot more fun than a car you care about. Unless you go all out and build a race car with cages and the like out of the gta. But that's not cheap.

The shitbox was a 300 quid bag of shite, it was epic fun :hubba: I wouldn't dream of doing what I did in/to that car in anything decent.

Get an old 156 v6, strip the shit out of it then abuse it til it dies. :thumbs:

I think maybe this car is the wrong car to take everything out of, not a daily drive at all...havent seen the thing for best part of a month! Like what you did with the 'shitbox'.

Maybe I need to get a cheap cheap car which I can totally strip out and not care about too much?

Now your getting the idea.